• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Holy frickin' coolant leaks Batman!

scottvor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yesterday was a bad Ranger day as a couple of things failed or broke. But the major thing is I've now got a big coolant leak. I found the leak but I'm hoping someone can give me a specific part name before I ask for a "doohickie thing" at the parts store. There is a valve that seems to control water flow direction to (or from) the heater core in the cab. I've found that If I switch on the dash vents from the climate controls, a plunger(?) moves on this valve and coolant gets sprayed all over the engine bay when the motor is running. The temperature switch position doesn't affect this, just the dash vent selection. Anyone have a specific name? And damn, it looks kind of expensive.

much thanks, Scott

Danger FX4 Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
A heater control valve? I had to replace mine a few weeks ago on my ranger. It costed about $30 in AutoZone. It can easily be replaced in about 5 minutes using nothing more than a pair of pliers. Remember coolant will dump from the hoses when you take them off, so it's best to wait until the truck has been sitting for several hours.

Last edited:

LearjetMinako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140ci
Transmission
Manual
Heater control valve. I had to replace mine after coming back from vacation.

scottvor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the info. Found it on Autopartswarehouse.com for $18. Gotta love the internet!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals