• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Compression good or bad?

Paulos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 STX
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I just did a compression test on my 2.9 and came up with these numbers

#1- 175 psi
#2- 182 psi
#3- 182 psi
#4- 172 psi
#5- 180 psi
#6- 167 psi

I made sure that the engine was warmed up, power to the coil disconnected, throttle body wide open, and all plugs removed. I turned the engine over 9 or 10 times and checked each cylinder at least twice. It's around 60 degrees outside, a little less than 1000' elevation.

It seems high to me, and I've read that intake valve timing can increase the compression. I replaced the timing set a year ago, and though it's been running rich for a while, it doesn't seem to be running bad enough to be out a tooth.

Also, there doesn't seem to be readily available conversion charts for PSI to compression ratio. I've read that this has to do with temperature, elevation, valve timing, etc. Anybody have any experience with this kind of issue?

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
When I was in school being taught how to do a compression test I was taught that you crank the motor over 3 to 5 times, do the same number per cylinder, then take your reading. The 10 times would explain the high reading.

With compression, you want to look for big differences between cylinders to the tune of more than 10% difference.

As to your last question someone else will have to help with that. Sorry.

EDIT: here is what RonD had to say about reading your compression. https://therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178456 Scroll to the bottom/last post.

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
+1 to what Bgunner said

Normal rule of thumb to get expected PSI from compression ratio is to multiple it by 18.3
15 comes from air pressure at sea level, 3.3 is mechanical compression of piston, I use 18 myself

so 9.0 ratio X 18.3 = 164.7psi

That would be cold engine, dry test, all spark plugs removed with open throttle

Warm engine test is OK once you have found a problem in cold test, same for wet test, if there is a problem then move on from cold dry test

Compression test variables are of course the compression gauge itself, the Battery Condition, and elevation above sea level
The first two can very ALOT, lol.

So gain of salt on specifics in compression tests, which is why you test all the cylinders to compare.

Static compression(i.e. compression tests like these) are usually about 30% higher than running compression, its 30% lower, which is why lower static tested cylinders misfire
A cylinder running 140 static means it's under 100 running

Your average compression from above readings is 177psi, and 10% rule of thumb would be 17.7 +/-
so cylinders within 159 to 194 would be OK

Last edited:

Paulos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 STX
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks @Bgunner and @RonD, I appreciate it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals