• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Starting issues, fuel pump?

mosinutty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L - 2.8L - 2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Having starting issues with my 89 Bronco II 2.9 L. Serviced the vehicle after purchase. Valve cover gaskets, plugs, plug wires. A couple of days after I serviced the truck I went out to start it and it fired briefly then quit. Would crank but not start. I gave it a try the next day and it started and ran fine? Drove to work today and when I got in the truck to come home I had the same issue, fired briefly then quit, cranks fine but will not start. I've noticed that when I started the vehicle in the past I could hear something clicking at the rear of the truck which I'm not hearing now, fuel pump? I checked the coil and plug wires for fire and I am getting a good spark.
In my Chilton manual it reads that the 89 2.9 with the electric fuel injection system, uses a fuel tank and fuel pump/sender assembly. Does this Bronco have an externally frame mounted fuel pump or is the pump mounted in the fuel tank? Could I have done something under the hood, changing the valve cover gaskets, that might be causing the problem like wiring? I don't think this is a timing chain issue due to the truck running fine after the 1st episode. What do ya think?

chrwilkins30

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yes their is 2 fuel pumps. one in tank and one on the driver frame rail(almost by the trans cross member. that's about all i can help you with.

could just be a bad in-tank fuel pump that just happened to go bad after the tune-up.

greasemonkey6886

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Negative on two pumps!! His is an 89 and they only have one pump in the tank. The 88 and earlier have the two pump setup.

chazzone

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My '89 only has one fuel pump, and it is in-tank. I'd check for fuel pressure on the rail, but you should be able to hear the pump run for a few seconds, when you turn the key on.

ROBSANTIL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
I had the same issues with my 88 bii. Found out it was my fuel pump relay. It cranked but wouldn't start. sometimes it would start. Had a friend listen under the hood for the relay to click. then he tapped it and the fuel pump kicked on. changed the the relay and everthing worked great.

meskater132

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
is there a slight knock when running? my 90 bII does not throw a code but has a minor knock it will crank very slowly new battery new cables new starter and still cranks slow but what it turns out is my timing is advanced too far sounds wierd i know but advanced timing will cause this and when it senses a knock it retards the timing which will allow it to run until next start up when it cranks slow again

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the key here is it runs sometimes, but not others... this leads me to think that it's not a pump... as pumps usually either work or don't and if they are intermittent, it's intermittent for like a day, then nothing...

either way, check for fuel at the engine, there should be a shrader valve you can press in with a screw driver, if it sprays out, you have fuel, if not, you have a fuel delivery problem...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals