• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

92 Ranger aka Tommy

Jerlaine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok so after a blown engine in a eb explorer, then a blown transmission in a 2nd eb explorer i said screw it and sold my baby a built raptor and immediately bought the perfect truck before anyone else could snag it. A 1993 Ranger supercab with the 4.0 and m50d trans, also has a manual transfer case with of course manual hubs. To say I'm excited is an extreme understatement I've wanted 1 of these even back in highschool when i had a B2.

It already has a 2.5 inch cat back exhaust with flowmaster muffler, a K&N filter, 2 inch lift, and they swapped in a 8.8 out if an explorer that has the lsd and 31 spline axles.
So I'm going to add in lockers both front and rear and up it to a 4 inch lift.

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
looks pretty clean! i wish i still had my 1991, love that body style.

im not sure if you are going selectable for the rear locker or not, but the lunchbox for the limited slip diff is pretty expensive, i would recommend super packing that limited slip. all the traction of the locker without the noise or expense. i talk about it a bit on page 2 of my build. link is below.

Elutheros

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Good looking truck--too bad about the rust, but it's fixable.

Jerlaine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'll end up with a selectable or at least i want too, will have to wait and see how busy we are this summer. I thinj the previous owner did pack it up to much, i know he said he made sure to shim it or something, but tight turns and wheels are spinning.

Anyways had it packed up and everything to head off to Houston, filled my gas tank as full as it would go went back to my dads to grab my phone charger then leave and the fuel pump completely stops working

I ended up using the steamer on the frame and everything. Wanted to wire brush it and paint it but time and money said wait till this fall.

Got it all back together took off and somewhere middle of Texas at about 5 in the morning i had a pack of wild boar run across the freeway, hit a medium sized between 55-60 mph and damn was that an impact. If it hadn't been for the push bar she would've been totalled

Jerlaine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well nit much to update on. She's been having fuel issues and her clutch went out. Had to take her to a tranny shop and have them do the clutch, that was fun as i already had all the parts and their labor turned into needed to replace a lot of the internals.. But they had good reviews and I'm not willing to risk any possible problems, should've taken a pic of the guts while could oh well. Anyways hopefully i can figure this issue out and go back to driving it instead of the chevy the rental company stuck me in.

Jerlaine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well long time since any updates.
I had a bunch of ttansmission work and in pretty sure the shop didnt actually do anything. That said I ended up limping back to Utah and bought another truck a 88 f350 crew cab.
However its not a daily truck so I'm fixing the Ranger.

First I scored some nice leather seats onnhalf off day using plasma money

Hopefully those will be in by end of weekend. But first and more importantly I'm going to finish pulling the transmission and ripping out the damaged guts and installing these

I know bad picture it was getting late out. Anyways picked up all the intrnals for a rebuild from BlackB2. Turns out we weny to school together nack in the day, was nice catching back up.
Anyways I have mostly everything unbolted and ready to go. We'll finish tomorrow when there's light outside. However i did drain the fluid and upon pulling the drain plug I found this

Smelled massively of gear lube and had a few metal chunks in it :/

Also I'm pretty sure there should be more fluid then this:

There was maybe 1/2 to 2/3 a quart of fluid in it and it smelled massively of gear lube too even though it was red

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"

Jerlaine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yup it happens. All that matters is its going to get fixed now so I can be back to driving it.
Better yet an old friend I met again on here is the one who got me what i needed. And better yet I'm taking it down to 1 of my companies busiest offices so money should be fine add in its in Texas I sgould be able to find a rust free bes for it finally!

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Cool man can't wait to see some progress. Good luck on the trans rebuild. :icon_thumby:

Jerlaine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've been thinking about hiw you told me the brochure said the STX had the black grille and headlight assembly.
Well pull n save up in west valley has a good set on a explorer. I might just swing back up on Wednesday for them.
Either way regardless of weather tomorrow I'll be pulling that trans out tomorrow

Jerlaine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well I think I found the problem. Probably gonna spend the next week fixing it

It dropped some more fluid that definetly didnt look or smell like atf

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Yikes.

If the shop that did the work used a heavy weight oil like gear lube I would call them and let them have it.

Jerlaine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well transmission is back together.

I finished buttoning it up today as I had to wait innthe clutch to arrive. The pressure plate and flywheel were still good but the previous clutch was completely fried, even brittle to the touch and somewhat glazy lol.

Anyways while waiting on the clutch I seized the opportunity to install my new seats.

I'm very happy with them absolutely love em if I'm honest. The center console isnt in yet I was just lining it up to see hiwnit fits when Napa called with the new clutch.

Picked it up got back amd realized I had no alignment tool so I used the old input shaft lol should've taken a picture but was rather upset as my dad pointed out that the back driver window in my f350 was broken...

So yay me new hunt for window for it... Sometimes having hard to find vehicles sucks

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Nice. Good job dude. :icon_thumby:

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Cool project, man. My ’92 is jealous. Wishing you all the best with her!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals