• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

TFI module delete

purplepeopleeater

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Hello everyone, I m curious about the possibility of deleting the TFI module, and upgrading to a whole new ignition system. Just to kinda take to inevitable failure of the part out of the equation. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I have played with the notion of going EDIS on a 2.9. I am not sure if the 2.9's computer would communicate correctly with the EDIS module instead of a TFI though, and I don't have a 2.9 to test the idea on.

The relocation has been proven very effective at severely reducing heat-related failures.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
I have played with the notion of going EDIS on a 2.9. I am not sure if the 2.9's computer would communicate correctly with the EDIS module instead of a TFI though, and I don't have a 2.9 to test the idea on.

The relocation has been proven very effective at severely reducing heat-related failures.
Couldnt a 4.0 EDIS/CPU be adapted to run a 2.9?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
TFI and EDIS-6 do use different computer software, the pulse(PIP) and SPOUT(return) are different
And TFI system computers used MAP instead of MAF sensors.

Good read here on Ford's electronic spark systems: http://www.fordforumsonline.com/threads/identifying-and-understanding-ford-ignition-systems.3764/

So it would be an uphill battle
You could use 4.0l computer(1990-1994), switch over to MAF sensor(use 4.0l engine wiring harness) and EDIS-6, you would have to adapt tone wheel and Crank sensor for 2.9l's crank pulley, not sure if 4.0l pulley will fit 2.9l crank.

So probably doable.

But I think remote mounting TFI module would be better direction and less costly.
Only thing wrong with the TFI system was the module being mounted at the back of the engine on the distributor, so it would get heat soaked, especially after warm engine was shut off, and electronics do not like HEAT.

Good article on how to remote mount it here: http://www.therangerstation.com/how-to/ignition-charging-computers/remote-mounted-tfi-ignition-module/

purplepeopleeater

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Thank you for all of the info, I actually had remote mounted my TFI already. But out here in Arizona with the outside air already being so hot, and the addition of the under hood heat from the engine, it still stays a concern for me. I was hoping that a ignition system conversion would be a simple task. But from the sounds of it. I’d be better keeping a spare TFI and of it does fail, at least I won’t be stuck.

Thank you again for all of the info

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
You could try adding a computer hardware style of aluminum heat sink to the TFI to see if that helps.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thank you for all of the info, I actually had remote mounted my TFI already. But out here in Arizona with the outside air already being so hot, and the addition of the under hood heat from the engine, it still stays a concern for me. I was hoping that a ignition system conversion would be a simple task. But from the sounds of it. I’d be better keeping a spare TFI and of it does fail, at least I won’t be stuck.

Thank you again for all of the info

And TFI has failed again after remote mounting?

purplepeopleeater

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Sorry, should have been more clear. No it’s good still. My truck will sputter and loose power after an hour or so of driving, but I think my fuel pump is over heating. I can shut it off and back in seconds later and get another 5 mins of driving. More of I top off the tank. But the TFI I believe is good

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I would change the coil just on speculation

I would think you would need to be down to 1/8 of a tank, under a 1/4 for sure, for failing fuel pump to act that way.
And 2.9l would run 30psi fuel pressure, so engine should stall instantly if fuel pump is off, no sputter.
You can pull fuel pump fuse while idling or even REVing the engine a bit, just to see what happens, see if that duplicates what you experience.

What year is the 2.9l Ranger?

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
You could try adding a computer hardware style of aluminum heat sink to the TFI to see if that helps.

My 97 460 is set in one of those factory. Believe my 96 300 was to.

purplepeopleeater

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
I would change the coil just on speculation

I would think you would need to be down to 1/8 of a tank, under a 1/4 for sure, for failing fuel pump to act that way.
And 2.9l would run 30psi fuel pressure, so engine should stall instantly if fuel pump is off, no sputter.
You can pull fuel pump fuse while idling or even REVing the engine a bit, just to see what happens, see if that duplicates what you experience.

What year is the 2.9l Ranger?

Thank you Ron, the coil is about a year old, but it was a cheapie, so I’ll replace it. My truck is an 87. I have tried pulling codes, but just get the all is good 11 code. I was kinda thinking it may be pump related because I did the single in tank pump swap from a 92 2.9 ranger, and when I turn the key to listen for it, I do hear it, along with a rattling sound, kinda like marbles in Tupperware. I need to get a fuel pressure gauge to check pressure. I’ll also give the fuse trick a shot. Thank you again for the help.
It’s very appreciated, I’m down to the point of considering selling the truck, and I really rather not.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
If we are dealing with an 88 or earlier not necessarily. I've had my 87 running, barely, on 12 PSI. My in-tank pump is screwy.

Dav

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
, 2.9
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none but it is a convertible
Tire Size
stock
having read the relocation article, i think this is what i should do.
BUT....the article talks about making a 3 wire harness for the prongs that go up into the distributer. it does not address the problem of the 6 pin connecter at the other end of the ignition module
if i put the module in a heat sink and mount it to the radiator support, then add the 3 wire extended harness, the connector that plugs into the side of the dist is going to be 3 feet away from the module.
how did you solve this part of the relocation?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
having read the relocation article, i think this is what i should do.
BUT....the article talks about making a 3 wire harness for the prongs that go up into the distributer. it does not address the problem of the 6 pin connecter at the other end of the ignition module
if i put the module in a heat sink and mount it to the radiator support, then add the 3 wire extended harness, the connector that plugs into the side of the dist is going to be 3 feet away from the module.
how did you solve this part of the relocation?
It's there but just a sentence or two:
"Next, go to the junkyard and cut a couple of feet of TFI wiring harness and salvage the foil wrap that Ford uses. Strip the insulation off a length of 10-12ga wire and interweave it among the foil, leaving it unattached towards the TFI end and grounding the other end to a suitable ground point. The foil insulates the wire from any interference."

But TFI vehicles are probably getting pretty scarce, lol

You can also buy 9 conductor 18gauge wire, or 3 conductor and 6 conductor
Most auto parts stores sell "trailer wiring" that is multi-conductor

Dav

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
, 2.9
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none but it is a convertible
Tire Size
stock
okay, i misunderstood that part. i thought the foil was all that the wire was aquired for.
friday after work (my early day) i will hit the u pick near work this will put me in the commute from sarasota to tampa but the nearer u picks dont have suitable doners

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals