• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

pic of 1354 manual shift cam anybody?

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
anybody have a good picture of the shift cam in a manual BW1354? part E6TZ-7F063A ?

looking at the parts it appears the major difference between an electric shift and manual is the electric has a rotating "grooved cam block" to move the forks. that cam rotates on a shaft that is parallel to the main shaft. think of it as a screw moving a threaded gizmo back & forth.

the manual has a plate which rotates perpendicular to the main shaft, it has angled slots that mimic the grooved cam block. tabs on the forks ride in the slots, think of it like a shifter gate.
it appears to have steps/detents to keep it in place.

the reason I ask is to possibly convert an electric to a manual. the holes are cast in for that cams pivot shaft. add a couple of seals, the detent/spring, conjure up a shifter and it looks feasible.

comments?

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Yes it's possible. I converted one over 12-13 years ago for my buddy's truck, so my memory may be a little fuzzy. I had to cannibalize a 13-50 manual shift for parts. (We called it a 13-52.) The only real issue I found was the 13-54 case is thicker then a 13-50 where the shift linkage goes through the case. IIRC, I had to remove a few mm of material there. Then it was just a matter of drilling and reaming the hole (it has to be reamed, if you want the oring to seal. A drilled hole will chew up the oring over time.) Then drill the cross hole for the detent ball and spring. I tapped that hole for a 1/8" pipe plug to hold the spring and seal the fluid. If you want to install the sensor, you would have to drill that all the way through and tap the other side to whatever thread the factory sensor is.

The long tube in the rear half of the case that the auto shift linkage goes through: I cut that off close to the case. I ran a 1/2" pipe tap into the hole. And installed a 1/2" pipe plug. I don't think I had to even drill the hole. I'm pretty sure the taper was almost perfect to just tap it.

I had an idea of using a shift on the fly rear case and wiring in the electromagnet to a button on the shifter. That way you could push the button, spin the driveshaft up to speed, then manually shift it into 4wd. But I never got around to trying it.

I also machined part of a front plate from a 13-54 off. Made a new piece out of steel and pinned it to the original plate. (It was pinned to the plate and bolted to the front case half with 2 bolts.) Drilled it and pressed in brass bushings and seals. I ran 2 rods (1/2" I believe) that could control high/low and 2/4wd separately. I never finished that project because I sold all my Rangers and explorers. That should still be in my collection of tcase parts.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
Great! :icon_thumby: now it's time to collect some parts.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Let me know if you can't find a shifter locally. A while back I ran across a guy near me who has a warehouse full of Ford truck parts, and in one corner I found a pile of about 20 various shifters from Rangers, most of them 4x4.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
yes I would like a shifter.
I picked up a 1350 tcase from a 94 Ranger (?) today, no shifter though. I'm going to open it up for inspection and investigation.
the rest of the truck is gone, no chance to check it for the shifter.

on this tcase the shift arm points forward, so the rod should be near vertical.

Last edited:

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
look what showed up today

2018-11-01 20.29.10.jpg

this is the most critical part. the search continues for the rest.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals