• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

No start condition

SuperAwesomeGuy

Reaction score
Will start for a little and die only if I prime the rail a few times. No fuel pressure gauge but when pressing valve get small stream for a sec or 2

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
What truck, year, and engine, so we are not guessing symptoms here.

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
Unplug the fuel pressure regulator vacuum hose. If the fpr is bad you will see or smell gas. I would buy a gauge and see what your fuel pressure is.
Should be 35-40 psi at the test port. It may be time to change the fuel filter also.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The Computer should run the fuel pump for 2 seconds, and 2 seconds only, when key is turned on, but it does this EACH TIME key is turned on

So cycle key on and off 3 or 4 times, THEN check if there is alot more pressure at the test port, should be 30psi, like a tires air pressure, so watch out, it should spray along ways.

Dirty fuel filter can limit flow so limit engine run time, this filter should be changed every 5 years
As said, FPR(fuel pressure regulator) could be the problem
Could even be fuel pump is starting to go

SuperAwesomeGuy

Reaction score
Okay testing fuel pressure I'm only getting about 10 psi and after I stop it leaks pressure. Is that the fuel pump or reg or something?

Dav

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
, 2.9
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none but it is a convertible
Tire Size
stock
88 2.9 auto 2wd
"computer runs fuel pump for 2 seconds"
the truck runs, or did, for about an hour then would die. an hour later it would start back up.
thinking it was the TFI, i relocated it but the problem persists. and last time i could not hear the fuel pump, thinking it should stay running.
i have changed relays, no change. the inertia switch seems to be unavailable (88 uses a 2 prong switch, 89 uses a 3 prong)
put a fuel filter in today. pulled the external pump, cleaned the wire connectors, opened up the reservoir which still had a filter in it.
external pump comes on for 2 seconds. reservoir is not filling. it did try-there was a small amount of gas pumped to it. does it need to be primed? i would not expect so as it is fed by an electric pump
have never heard the in-tank pump make a sound. should it? it has worked. is the in tank on a separate relay?
tomorrow the bolts come out of the bed and the bumper comes off. (putting a receiver hitch on). will have to wait for my daughters to come over for turkey to get them to help remove the bed.
plan to drain the tank. judging from the crud in the reservoir, i imagine the tank is cruddy, too.
any hints or suggestions?

Paulos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 STX
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If your only symptom was the engine running for an hour and then shutting down, I would also say the TFI. I've had them run fine in the morning (when it's cooler), and then shutdown at the same exit 2 days in a row. It would start back up in 20-30 minutes after it cooled down.

But it sounds like your in-tank fuel pump is the problem. The fuel pump relay feeds the inertia switch, which feeds both pumps (tapped near the external pump). Essentially, the in-tank pump primes the system to the high pressure pump. When you pull your bed, check the fuel sending unit/fuel pump connector for voltage when the ignition is first turned on. Like you mentioned, the fuel pumps should come on for a couple seconds. The wires for the in-tank pump should be black - and black/pink +.

SuperAwesomeGuy

Reaction score
Tryin to Jack my thread huh lol. Well I ended up sticking a new fuel pump in it and now runs better but, it shakes a shit ton at idle and I believe that my 5 and 6 cylinder is not firing, have spark on them but when pulling wire off it does not change how it runs. When driving it hardly accelerates at low rpm until 2.5k then runs alright

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Run some injector cleaner in the gas tank

2.9l will run Batch Fire fuel injection so dirty injectors can cause heavier misfires
Batch fire on a V6 means 3 fuel injectors open at the same time, 1 on one bank and 2 on the other bank, then it reverses on the next firing, this keeps lower intake full of air/fuel mix, like a carb did.

Dirty injectors don't spray well, they drip, at lower flow, i.e. idle, then start to work better at higher demand, 2,500rpm driving

SuperAwesomeGuy

Reaction score
Run some injector cleaner in the gas tank

2.9l will run Batch Fire fuel injection so dirty injectors can cause heavier misfires
Batch fire on a V6 means 3 fuel injectors open at the same time, 1 on one bank and 2 on the other bank, then it reverses on the next firing, this keeps lower intake full of air/fuel mix, like a carb did.

Dirty injectors don't spray well, they drip, at lower flow, i.e. idle, then start to work better at higher demand, 2,500rpm driving
That sounds like my issue
So how would I go about taking off the injectors.
Also I already gone nuts with the injector cleaner spraying in the intake and everything

dirtymike

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger lwb
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1 inch spacers
Tire Size
P23575R15
My credo
Do unto others then Split-probasti me et chognuisti me
take the plenum off and rebuild the injectors. Rust in the fuel rail has clogged the injector.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals