• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Seeking guidance

F150 Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Started as a 4.0 Installing a 5.0
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
never accomplish today what you can put off for tomorrow
Hello, I am in the process of installing a V8 from a 1999 Explorer into my 1998 Ranger, the truck has already been extensively modified for rock crawling with axles from a 78' 1/2 ton and 37" tires. I have installed the complete engine harness and the dash harness from the explorer but I am running into problems trying to get the power door on the passenger side wired up.There is to my dismay, no similarity in the wiring (colors or connector) between the 2 and I have had no luck finding info on this. Any advice or instruction would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
F150 ranger

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Power widow on passenger side uses 3 wires, one will have 12v full time with Key on, from accessory relay, no power key off

Other 2 are Grounds from Driver's Door Master switch.
One will change to 12v when you press DOWN on Master, label it
Other will change to 12v when you press UP on Master, label it

On the Ranger passenger door switch the light blue wire is the full time 12v, #3
White is UP from Master, #4
Tan is DOWN from Master, #2

#1 and #5 are to the Motor

The door locks use 2 relays, "all lock relay" and "all unlock relay", these are both Grounds when relays are open

The door switches activate the relays by grounding their coils, the door switch has 3 wires
One is a local ground, probably in the kick panel on that side
The other 2 will have 12volts all the time, not key on/off power
This 12v is passing thru each relay's coil
When the door switch is pressed it GROUNDS one of the relays which Locks or Unlocks the doors depending on which relay was activated.

Use a test light to Ground wires to see if a relay clicks, test light acts as a fuse so you don't short anything, lol.

Ranger door switch wires are
Black for local ground

Pink/green stripe for Unlock
Pink/yellow stripe for Lock

Fuse for power door locks is in the engine fuse box, should be labeled as such

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals