• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

84 Bronco 2 Flooding

84bluebronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I posted this once before but have some better information now. My bronco seems to run fine for about 30 seconds up to 2 minutes and then the idle gets super rough. About 15 seconds after that it stalls out and won't start for about 20 minutes. What could all of a sudden make a good running 2.8 v6 shit the bed so hard? It smells like gas when it stalls too so I know it's getting fuel.

Side note: With the line disconnected, is fuel supposed to come out where the charcoal can connects to the carb?

Thanks

84BB2

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
If it was running fine before, you have either a float that has sumk or a bad needle and seat. Float level could be just out of adjustment but I doubt it.

T-RAV

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
i had the same problem... but my end result was i needed a new carb... try taking it apart and cleaning it if the float or needle problem is good i had dirt in mine and it was preventing everything from moving properly.

84bluebronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
When I take the top off my carb, the float is sitting in there and looks ok. It's not stuck up and if i push it down floats right back up. I will have to try cleaning the needle and seat maybe? It used to be a little boggy here and there but all of a sudden started flooding out...

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Pull the top off the carb and check the float level yea sounds like it is getting sucked into the vapor system somehow. on the flat piece of metal there should be a sticker with the carb number on it they are easy enough to rebuild it is still a good idea to soak it in carb cleaner overnight after you pull all the rubber off the parts adjusting it once you get it back together can be a little tricky but easy enough once you figure it out. Might be a good idea to give it a good tune up and oil change especially if the oil smells like fuel from it washing down into the crankcase. keep us posted.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
The wet float adjustment is 9/16 of a inch from the top of the carb to the center of the fuel in the bowl you can run the engine with the top off and see what it is doing.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
If the vapor can is full of fuel it will make it run a little rich check that you get vacuum to it when it is running it can take a while if it is saturated maybe get one from the bone yard maybe the solenoid is not working correct there are two the one fron the carb is closed when the engine is running and the computer controls the one from the egr spacer in the rear of the carb see if it gets vacuum at different rps I believe the TPS tells it when to open thru the computer

84bluebronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have so many vacuum lines disconnected it's not funny.... None of my egr equipment is hooked up anymore, none of the automatic choke exists, and yes, fuel is flowing into the vapor system. I want to see if i can find the problem before rebuild or replacement because if it is something i don't want to fix, or that won't be fixed by rebuild or replacement, I don't want to make the investment. I need to acquire a vacuum diagram and rehook up some stuff.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
there is a vacuum diagram in the tech library did you pull the air horn off the top of the carb yet you can run the engine with it off the fuel should be at least 1/2 inch below the top of the float bowl 9/16 is the wet adjustment take a strait edge acroos the top of the carb and measure to the center of the fuel the fuel climbs up the edges so measure the center of the fuel in the bowl. From the mess you are talking about if you dont have to pass emissions and the compression is good with good oil pressure duraspark it and dont mess with the computer crap.

84bluebronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
In my state (NY) there are no requirements for emissions on an 84. I don't really want to mess with he vacuum because it was running as is. Why in the world did it go from running one day to not the next?

My issue: Perfect running for 1-2 minutes, rough idle for 30 seconds, dead. Won't start and run right for maybe 20 minutes. Runs slightly better if i hold the throttle open. It is definitely flooding itself, but why?:dunno: *:flipoff:Punches bronco in the face:flipoff:* *:bawling:immediately turns around apologizing and starts cuddling with bronco:bawling:*

84bluebronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
"I have a carb on the bronco now, not a great one but I got one. It starts and will run fine while the choke is engaged, but as soon I tap the gas to kill the choke it will chug then almost die, then chug again, and it does this about 6 times before it will completely die.

It will run with the gas on but as soon as I let it go it dies or chugs a few times then dies.

Any suggestions? Or any links that might help?"

Perfect description of my problem by another 84B2 owner.

Btw, what get's removed in a duraspark conversion?

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Did you take the top off the carb if it runs with the choke on you have a bad vacuum leak check the nuts holding the carb down. what have you done to it to make it f up it will never run as you said with all the vacuum lines disconnected maybe a fresh set of eyes there and it is not going to fix itself we can only make suggestions if it is something simple like you disconnecting stuff to make it work better but you are more than likely gonna have to invest something.http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/diagrams/1983vacuumhoseguide.jpg It is more like what is left for the duraspark one vacuum line, water temp and oil pressure sensors and the alternator wires everything else goes away. Your money way ahead about $130 new for the ignition and if you can find the harness out of a 84 4 cyl ranger you can use your coil and only need to splice one wire. If you get real lucky and find a late 70s pinto or mustang II with the 2.8 you can use the carb also.

84bluebronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It ran for months as it was and I was confused as to how. The vacuum lines disconnected are for the egr and auto choke. I think I should probably just look for a new bronco. This one seems to be well above my skill level.

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
did you check the float by shaking it to see if it has fuel in it?

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Is the choke stuck closed loosen the screws on the choke thermostat and turn it to where the choke opens all the way there is no vacuum going to the choke except the pull off that opens it a little until the thermostat heater opens it all the way.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals