• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'11 2.3l to 5.0 conversion

testanimal

Reaction score
Stationed in Kaiserslautern, Germany; live in Nürn
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
If it does not blow the engine, you did good.
I am currently station in Kaiserslautern Germany. I will be at Fort Sill(Lawton,Ok) for 34 weeks of schooling. In this time, I plan on converting my '11 Ranger to a 5.0. I have read so many threads and articles that I have lost count. Through the countless hours, I have yet to find a thread mentioning any conversions for 2009-2011. Advance Adapters do not have a kit for this year nor does JEB. I have read in the V8 ranger forum as well.

Could anyone please point me in the direction for a conversion kit for a 2011 Ranger? I am tired of driving the Auto the past couple of years at 115MPH and having VW's flash their lights to pass.:shok:

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
There really are not any "kits" on the market for the later Rangers.

Which front suspension your truck has impacts the conversion:

The 4WD and Sport versions use a torsion bar front suspension -- on those, the 5.0, transmission and most "hard" parts from a '96 to '01 V8 Explorer simply bolt in.

You're left with finding a drive shaft solution, exhaust and some electrical issues.

On the coil spring 2WD Rangers, the only real change is needing a custom set of engine mounting plates. After that, again, the 2nd gen V8 Explorer bits bolt in.

Since the V8 Explorers were either 2WD or AWD, 4WD Rangers offer up some additional challenges if AWD is not a desired option.

Also, since all the V8 Explorers were auto trans, getting a manual to work behind the 5.0 also adds come challenges.

Understanding the electrical differences between the Ranger and the target 5.0 is critical. Having complete wiring diagrams of both is all but essential.

Getting the power of the V8 to the road really needs a limited slip diff, and since you're looking at legally running at speeds most cannot, modding an Expo 8.8 TracLok diff with some really tall gearing might be a smart move.

Probably the best option is to buy a complete, running V8 Explorer, you'll need a huge number of bits to accompany the basic engine and transmission.

Three really helpful guides:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=302956

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/5_0_swap_in_newer_ranger.html

http://www.rangerpowersports.com/forum/v8-swap-faq/186450-2001-ranger-5-0l-swap-wiring-guide.html

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals