• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Power Drain

Gulf War Vet

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1985 Bronco II that is draining the battery, I have been trouble shooting the problem for awhile and discovered a relay on the passenger side, behind the kick panel. I swapped out the relay and the problem persist, I also had the Alternation put on a table and tested it under load, it was good.
I'm not sure what the relay is for but what could cause it to draw power when the key is removed?

Next Issue, when accelerating the truck hesitates then accelerates, this vehicle has a 2.9 engine with smog components which means it has an EGR. the vehicle has NEW plug wires, Plugs, Cap and bug, New Interstate battery, NEW carb fuel filter-(checked out the fuel coming out of the line which is good and plenty so the fuel pump is good. )

I did buy a carb kit and replace the accelator valve but that's it. I didn't what to get into that just yet.

why its stumbling when I mash the petal I have no Idea.

I heard about a different carb set up and removing the smog parts but I have Idea on what those part are.

V/R
GWV

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
85s didn't get a 2.9, and 2.9s didn't get carbs. You have a 2.8.

How quickly is the battery dying? If it dies in only a few hours the alternator, or more accurately the voltage regulator, is the most likely suspect. If it isn't shutting off correctly it can keep the alternator turned on, and that will kill the battery quickly. That and the radio are about the only things on that vehicle likely to cause such a draw.

The battery itself may be the issue, how old is it?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals