• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'89 5.0 conv EFI wiring question (pin 30)

AzRanger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys, hopefully somebody can help me with this. I'm at the end of my swap "journey" and I've run into a bit of a snag. I can't seem to figure out the wiring for pin 30 (NDS) on from the EEC. Here's what I've got: '88 Mark VII motor, tranny (AOD), and EEC (D9S catch code, SD) in my '89 2.9, manual tranny, 2wd, extra cab. I used the Ranger harness by adding about 10 circuits to the harness to account for the extra injectors and such. It works fine but it wants to stall when it goes into gear and warmed up (when cold the idle seems faster and will "survive" going into drive without stalling.

I've done some research and found a reference to pin 30 in the computer. Now here's the rub. Some souces (Alldata wiring harness diagrams) show the circuit as connecting to a "hot in start" source, like it is going through the nuetral drive switch (NDS). Other sources (Ford Fuel Injection.com) show it as being grounded in nuetral.

Any ideas? I'm already running the "hot in start" through the NDS to activate the solenoid (that's what I think it is supposed to wired as if it had an auto tranny). Since my truck is (was) a manual tranny truck, I'm missing the pigtail that goes trom the harness on the driver's side inner fender to the tranny switch that would answer at least some of my questions.

If any one has:

1) answer on pin 30 wiring, through the NDS, for an auto tranny, or,
2) a wiring schematic for the connection between the A4LD and the harness under the hood, I would be forever grateful.

Thanks,
Rob

bottledgt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
you shouldnt need any wiring for the trans at all with an aod

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
ya, the AOD is non-electronic. SO your saying you made a harness using the existing 2.9 stuff, and adding what was needed for it to run the 302?. Even tho the ECM doesnt control the trany' It does need to know when its in gear so it can compensate by adjusting the idle when its moved from park/neutral to a range selection. Im not sure exactly, but when my truck was scaned by a Ford dealership, every time they put the truck into gear the ecm was looking for voltage at pin 30. I would go by what you find in Fordfuelinjection.com. That site helped me a LOT when i was trying to get my new enging runing.

AzRanger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well, I tore into the Mark VII harness last night and tracked down the pin 30 circuit. It goes through the nuetral drive switch on the tranny (closed in park + drive) and then to the red/blue wire at the distributor. Hopefully I just had it wired wrong (power to pin 30 only during "start", none during "run"). I'll keep the post updated for those who may be interested.

AzRanger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Update - for those who may need to know about this circuit. I broke down and ordered the Helms wiring diagrams for the '89 Ranger and the '91 Lincoln ('88 wasn't available any more). After looking them over and following the schematics, I basically wired it like the Ranger w/A4LD tranny, minus the three wires that go to the 3-4 shift and converter clutch override solenoids. Seems to work fine and the computer (pin #30) sees 12V when in start (key cranked) like it should. That seems to have solved the stalling while shifting into gear problem (that and I had plugged injectors and one broken wire to inj #1, it is a miracle the thing even run at all!)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals