Home Ford Ranger Forum Builders Guide How To Tech Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Help Forums - Engine & Transmission Forums > V6 Forums > 3.0 Liter Forum

Notices

Old 12-05-2017, 02:05 PM   #51
vwjohnboy

Vehicle Year: 1994,1995
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: ranger 4x4 auto,explorer 4x4
vwjohnboy is on a distinguished road

Ok im putting a 93 3.0 in a,2000
When i install the cam sensor do i set it at75* which the book says is for 96-97 or do i set it at 38* which is for 98-2008? The 93 had a distibutor, and im swapping it out with a cam sensor. I guess my question is did the cam change somewher in there? Why the difference,and which one do i use?
vwjohnboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement - Don't want to see the forum ads? Click HERE to find out how to be a Supporting Member.

5% Discount Code: 01783FE29A6986 Expires: December 30, 2018
Old 02-22-2018, 05:19 PM   #52
wileyz62

Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: RangerXLT,3.0 Flex
I use this vehicle for: Daily Driver
My credo: I can do anything with faith in God
wileyz62 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki View Post
I keep getting a camshaft sensor code, but i'm not hearing any squeak or anything. And it only seems to happen when i start her on really cold mornings, you think the synchronizer can still be the problem? or is it more electrical?
Hi Nicky,, on those real cold mornings, does it start and stall off and on?
wileyz62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 06:20 AM   #53
98v70dad

Vehicle Year: 1996
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: daily driver
98v70dad is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksmith1 View Post
I have a bit of a dilemma. the tech library here shows the plug positioned towards the back of the engine at 75 degs from center. the hanynes manual shows it positioned towards the front of the engine at 75 degs from center. is there a mark on the block or head I can aim at to get the proper 75 degs? as I don't have a protractor and can't seem to locate my speed square ATM. If there isn't a mark there ought to be....
Thanks for any help here.
I have a 3.0L '96 and I replaced the camshaft position sensor and the synchronizer this weekend using the shop manual procedure for a '95. Those instructions have you put the engine at 10 degrees after TDC (ATDC) and point the tool at 30 degrees off of the engine centerline looking backward. The diagram in the tech library shop manual does not match the text. Every shop manual I ever bough for my fords was full of typos and I quit buying them for that reason.

Anyhow, the 10 degrees ATDC and 30 degrees off of the engine center line looking backward worked for me. The check engine light went off immediately and hasn't come back. The truck runs fine. Measured gas mileage coming in to work this morning - 37 miles of freeway was 23+ mpg. There are timing marks on the crank shaft pulley. The center bolt on mine was 13/16. The gear teeth are 10 degrees apart. You can see the timing make from below with a flashlight and a mechanics mirror.

If you're using the plastic tool you can take the fasteners out of the old sensor and use them to fasten down the tool temporarily. That way it won't slip off. If you don't fasten down the tool it slips off easily.

I used a little dosing syringe I had left over from having a cold to inject some engine oil in the lube hole and then spun the shaft around. Then I lubed up the worm gear and the o-ring.

These comments are for a 1996 ford ranger with a 3.0L V6. Other years and other engines are maybe different. What I've posted worked for me. Oh yeah, it was a real pain to accomplish- took me the better part of a day - I'm not a mechanic.
98v70dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 07:29 PM   #54
ugltrk

Vehicle Make: Ranger supercab
I use this vehicle for: everyday driving
ugltrk is on a distinguished road

OK... Just did my 97 aerostar,3.0 Would you believe that I bumped the starter, and it landed perfect for the alignment tool to sit in place, removed it and the teeth were a little worn,(176K miles) The reason for replacing was the top bushing was really worn, and after reading all the horror stories about stripped gears, ruined engines, etc I decided to change it out. Much easier on an Aerostar, 20 minutes. As for where the plug should be pointed, I don't think it makes a difference as long as the plug/wire is not in a strain.

Bill
ugltrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 10:07 AM   #55
Fordblue213

Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Ranger 3.0
I use this vehicle for: Daily driver
Fordblue213 is on a distinguished road

Swapped heads on my 2000 3.0 Here is a pic of the engine at top dead center and how the synchronizer should look installed correctly:

Last edited by Fordblue213; 07-01-2018 at 11:53 AM.
Fordblue213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 07:49 PM   #56
ugltrk

Vehicle Make: Ranger supercab
I use this vehicle for: everyday driving
ugltrk is on a distinguished road

Hey Ya'll, don't ignore the squeek on startup, let my Daughter in law use the 96 ranger 3.0, heard a squeak that sounded like an idler pulley, went away after about 2-5 secs. pulled the synchronizer and the drive gear was almost ready to strip out.145K miles....whew
ugltrk is offline   Reply With Quote