• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I need ideas! 150gal of free fuel....with a catch

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I have access to a few 55gal barrels of misfuel gasoline with unkown amounts of diesel mixed in it. basically a gas station tows a truck into our shop after filling a diesel with gasoline and we pump it into the drums and do nothing with it.

we've run this stuff in the shop vehicles before. at worst it caused smoky exhaust and long crank times before starting, but that was some really diesel rich stuff.

the barrels IM getting smell like raw gas and feel like gas with just a hint of oilyness to it. we've used a 1/4 tank in the shop van without issue but it only drove about 1mile to the gas station to get filled up the rest of the way.

i want to use this in my ranger since its daily driver, if it destroys the cat then i'll "fix" the cat, i just don't want to cause it to run bad or not start.

i also have carb'd trucks that i could use this stuff in, big v8's are not cheap to feed.

PLANS: saturday morning i will take 150gal in 3 barrels to my parents and test each barrel in the riding lawn mower since its easy to drain the fuel system, if i get GOOD results i'll be adding it to the tanks of the carb'd trucks and see how they run:yahoo:

I need to figure out ways to determine the ratio of diesel to gasoline and what would be acceptable to run in a gas engine.. carbed or fuel injected

from my research i've found that diesel and gasoline mix readily and don't separate so i can't pour into a jar and let it separate

one method suggested to me was to see how readily it burns when poured on the ground, i like the idea but i want to be more sure

so what can i do to figure out the mix?

ronclark

Supporting Member
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
95 4.0 with 93 ECU
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
With the cost of fue,l i wish i could get my hand on stuff like that.
Even if it ends up in the mower

ronclark

Supporting Member
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
95 4.0 with 93 ECU
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Just a thought. Do a 50/50 mix. put 50% of you drums in your tank and fill up the rest with pump gas. i cant imagine you would end up with to much diesel that way.

bigblockford79

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1979/93
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Just a thought. Do a 50/50 mix. put 50% of you drums in your tank and fill up the rest with pump gas. i cant imagine you would end up with to much diesel that way.
x2 Even if you put less of the unknown fuel in with good fuel you're still going to use it all but with less worry or doing damage.

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
thats what i might do in the ranger. been researching and found that diesel lowers the octane rating of gasoline and might cause pinging at high concentrations.

im thinking that most of these misfuels happen when people are low of diesel.. 1/4 tank or less and they fill the tank with gas by mistake.

i still don't know exactly what to do.

ronclark you live reasonably close to me so you could probably take a barrel if i decide i can't use 150gal fast enough. i want to use it before it gets stale

ronclark

Supporting Member
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
95 4.0 with 93 ECU
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
thats what i might do in the ranger. been researching and found that diesel lowers the octane rating of gasoline and might cause pinging at high concentrations.

im thinking that most of these misfuels happen when people are low of diesel.. 1/4 tank or less and they fill the tank with gas by mistake.

i still don't know exactly what to do.

ronclark you live reasonably close to me so you could probably take a barrel if i decide i can't use 150gal fast enough. i want to use it before it gets stale
Yeah, let me know i could go for that, it would be a good excuse to visit the coast more.
Well if it lowers the octane rating, why not run higher octane fuel?
i would think it would still pay off

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
i'll let everyone know how it works out. im stilling fishing for ideas though. keep them coming

my parents live in clatskanie, OR so thats roughly 45min from woodland. i can't store these things at my place in seaside

Bondo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 3.0
Transmission
Manual
Put a little octane boost in each tank you use.

That should snap it back into shape.

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Put a little octane boost in each tank you use.

That should snap it back into shape.
good suggestion i didn't even think of that. $3 bottle of octane booster could treat 20 gallons of gas. i like it

Bondo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 3.0
Transmission
Manual

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Well the results are in. put about 5gal in the 89 ranger, and 5gal in the 69 F-250 without diluting.

Both ran as normal, they smelt like diesel engines and smoked a tiny bit under load but otherwise ran awesome.

i used the best quality fuel, the other 2 barrels have more diesel mixed in i believe so i would have to dilute those

ALSO, my 2.3l ford ranger 5spd with 3.45 rear gears hauled its 1500lb load up a few hills without issue it was like a powerhouse maintaining 60mph up hill and still having room left to accelerate. im proud to own it

ronclark

Supporting Member
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
95 4.0 with 93 ECU
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
I looked online to see what people had to say about diesel in the gas it seemed everyone scream dumb and people payed like 1100 to have to system all cleaned out.
LOL

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
on the 60mile drive home my ranger got amazing fuel milage and seemed to have more power

barely used 1/8th of a tank. plus the lovely diesel scent out the exhaust haha

i took the carb'd truck out on its first drive in 2 years and it drove just fine running on the diesel mix.

tempforce

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
don't add more than 1/4 of the mixed fuel to a full tank of gas: ie: 3 to 1 ratio.
you will get some pinging under low speed - high load conditions. i've had issues of plugs fouling in cold climates.
it's a common trick of off roaders to add a couple gallons of diesel to their gas tank for more low end torque. it may give you a bit more mileage. as diesel has more btu's than gasoline.
don't go in for a emissions test until you burn all of the blend from your system, plus a couple extra takes first.

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
i just finished off 1/2 tank of the mix gas and didn't have any problems with pinging. i noticed a long crank when cold though.

probably never gonna run diesel in it again. i'll save that for the carb'd engines.

i want planning on adding some octane booster or lead substitute since the FE engines in my other trucks sometimes ping on regular unleaded.

im giving away 50 gallons of questionable fuel if anyone is interested. i PM'd ronclark and havn't gotten a response so if anyone wants to come experiment with it they need to bring me an empty plastic 55gal drum or pump the fuel into their own container

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals