• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

what pushrods to get?

will2045

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I'm building a 4.0 with flat top pistons and the 422 comp cam, I'm looking for recommendations on pushrods and if you guys think I need aftermarket valve springs?

I mean "NEED". I am cheap, and this motor although is being done professionally isn't going to exactly make 600hp and rev to 9K so I'm trying to be realistic about what I need to spend. any input would be great thanks guys.

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I went with Smith Bros. pushrods. Absolutely beautiful quality and great customer service. They knew the exact length pushrod I needed for my application after I told them what I was running. Quick shipping as well. I opted for the chromoly pushrods with hardened heads.

http://www.pushrods.net/

will2045

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I went with Smith Bros. pushrods. Absolutely beautiful quality and great customer service. They knew the exact length pushrod I needed for my application after I told them what I was running. Quick shipping as well. I opted for the chromoly pushrods with hardened heads.

http://www.pushrods.net/
what kind of price range did they run you?

does anyone have some input on the valve spring question?

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
If I remember correctly, I paid around $175 for the set last year, FYI, PlumCrazy is running the 422 cam and Smith Bro's pushrods...

truckerdawg

Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"
Tire Size
31X10.50
You will need a different set of valve springs than stock. Binding is an issue with the stock ford springs for that big a cam plus they are not made for that much work and will soften quicker than you want causing floating. Many suggest double springs but you can find a single spring to fit the spring pressure needed. Smith Bros pushrods are hardened for this application. Mizpah Precision Mfg will rebuild your lifters a lot cheaper than new ones.

will2045

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
So Comp Cams 988 springs, with Crane Cams 99947 retainers, stock valves and stock locks is the set up I have heard mentioned to go with the 422 cam but I can't seem to find those retainers. Do any other options exist for valve springs? I know plum used some LS based spring but I don't know which one and he doesn't remember. I have the stock LS1 springs out of my vette but they don't fit for crap.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
With the 422 cam you need the 988 valve springs, Comp even said as much when I contacted them about it. The Crane retainer was a little larger in diameter, but the stock retainer and keepers will do the job. Many people using that since the Crane retainers disappeared. You do know you'll need to get the spring pockets cut for dual springs, right?

As mentioned above Smith Brothers is the place to go to for push rods. Also check out the condition of your rockers, the 4.0Ls like to chew up push rod tips and rocker arms. Sealed power makes replacements that people seem to like.

will2045

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
With the 422 cam you need the 988 valve springs, Comp even said as much when I contacted them about it. The Crane retainer was a little larger in diameter, but the stock retainer and keepers will do the job. Many people using that since the Crane retainers disappeared. You do know you'll need to get the spring pockets cut for dual springs, right?

As mentioned above Smith Brothers is the place to go to for push rods. Also check out the condition of your rockers, the 4.0Ls like to chew up push rod tips and rocker arms. Sealed power makes replacements that people seem to like.
well obviously I wouldn't know that if I didn't know which springs to run.

What other spring options are there? Like I said I know of people running other springs but they can't seem to remember exactly what springs they are. looking at you plum

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Not obvious. You read enough to know about the 988 dual springs, therefore one could easily assume you have read enough to know about the spring seats. I just mentioned them in case you missed that in your reading.

I did a lot of reading in the 422 before decicing that the 410 suited me needs better (springs still recommended, but not required). This is the first time that I've heard of other springs being used. FYI plum used the dual springs as well.

truckerdawg

Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"
Tire Size
31X10.50
Measure your old springs on your heads.-Inside and outside diameters and installed and free heights. Go to Cranecams and look through their springs checking these measurements along with the bind height( cam lift). Check for spring pressures open and closed(seat). Also check out Compcams springs. Compare to the recommended pressures for the 422 cam. Double springs are not needed and will wear heavy on components. Are you using a stock head? If they fit, they fit! You just need to get the bind height right and the pressures right. I have ran both double and single spring setups with .500 lift cams.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals