• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

PATS programming with Forscan

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
You can now program your own PATS keys without a trip to the dealer even if you don't have two working keys. Here's what you need:
1) An ELM327 interface for the OBD2 port. Not one of the $10 generic ones, but a real one (expect to spend about $30 or so). Click HERE for the unit I used successfully.
2) A Windows laptop with Forscan installed. Go HERE to download.
3) At least two PATS keys that are cut to physically work in your ignition cylinder. I used a STRATTEC key that was about $10 on eBay. Locksmiths seem to be a little finicky on cutting third party keys, but I eventually found one that did the job for $2.

You'll need to register Forscan with an extended license. You can get a 2 month license for free by following the instructions HERE.

Detailed instructions for PATS programming are HERE. I'll condense them to what I did below.

1) Insert a key and turn it to the Run position. Put the ELM327 unit in the OBD2 port, and connect it to the laptop either by Bluetooth (pair it first, then check Forscan settings to select the device) or USB cable.
2) Launch Forscan and connect it to the vehicle. If everything's working, you'll see a list of PCM modules that it has connected to through the engine computer.
3) Click the wrench icon, then look for the PATS programming option in the Service procedures. Forscan may either tell you to wait 10-12 minutes while it gets timed access to the function, or go through the incode/outcode procedure to gain access. For incode info, click the detailed instructions link above. On my '99, I just had to wait 10 minutes to proceed to the next step.
4) Once you're in, follow the menu to erase all existing keys, then when prompted program each of your PATS keys to the system. Basically, you'll take the current key out, wait 10 seconds, then insert a key to the Run position and count to three, and do the same with any remaining keys. Once you're done programming keys, press OK and you can close out Forscan.

This should dramatically simplify V8 swaps, because you can just swap the PATS module that's paired to the new ECM into your truck, then program your current keys to the new ECM/module. No trip to the dealer required.

Post here if you have basic questions and I'll try to point you in the right direction. For more involved issues, register at the Forscan forum linked above and ask away there.
Good luck!

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Excellent :icon_thumby:

This needs to go into the Tech section :)

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Yup, I used Forscan on my Ranger that I got earlier this year because I only got one key with the truck. I found a guy who will cut actual Ford logo keys off of a high definition picture for about $15-20 a key, I'll have to dig out his info. I got 4 keys done for my Ranger, two for dad's and a new ignition cylinder keyed to my original key for my F-150 from the guy. I thought I had some bad door cylinders too, but instead of selling me new ones the guy told me how to clean the cylinder and free it up by spraying a liberal amount of electrical contact cleaner in the lock and working it around until it freed up.

Sent from my kite using a trebuchet

NewShockerGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
This is an older thread but wanted to ask... I can't seem to find information on the FORScan forum. My 2001 Ranger XLT has two keys. One key ALWAYS starts the truck. The second key key does not turn the truck on. I suspect that the previous owner from years ago lost the original 2nd key and simply bought a new oem ford key and had it cut to be able to get into the truck. When I attempt to use the second key it just has the security light flash rapidly.

Now when using FORScan I can view the PATS keys and it shows that two are already programmed. I assume that it's the two original keys. One of which I own. From what I have read I can not add another key without having both originals... OR can I since FORScan can see/have two programmed keys already? Everything that I have seen or read says you must erase both stored keys to be able to add more. So this makes me ask the question. IF I erase both keys one of which I have and works, and attempt to program new keys will I have a problem? My fear is that the truck won't start and I will have to tow it to the dealer.

I found this video on youtube: He seems to stated that you simply need two keys that CAN be programmed... not necessarily the two originals?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72kRKVV0aJ0

I'm just trying to get information before I attempt this. Note that I have a 3rd OEM ford key on the way and will get that cut since it will be blank.

When searching Ford Ranger and PATS this thread came up and specifically Lil_Blue_Ford makes me hope that this will work since I have one known working key...

Can I erase both keys. Then program using my known good key, and the second key that I currently have (oem ford)? Then add the 3rd key once I get it?

Thanks
-Nigel

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Forscan will definitely allow you to erase any existing keys and program two new good keys into your truck. The problem is that you don't know for an absolute that the second key you have now is a good functional PATS key. I'd actually buy another PATS key and cut it to match before starting the process. Right now, if you were to delete the two keys you have out and start the programming process, you'd be dead in the water if your second key turns out to be non-functional. A key is fairly cheap, probably less than $10 shipped. I think you need the same Strattec 598333 that I used on my '99 (don't buy one of the third party keys).

Knowing you have two good keys sets you up for success and saves you from the worst case of having a 2 ton paperweight while you wait for a new key to come in the mail.

For what it's worth, it can be a bit of a pain to have the PATS key cut. Some locksmiths won't touch them for various reasons, but if you call around you should be able to find someone that will work with you.

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
Damn good info Fast. Thanks.

NewShockerGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Welp, want to update. I don't get my spare oem key until Friday. I figured why not, lets just do this.

My 01' Ranger has the timed security so I didn't need to create/import/export any key. Just simply wait the 12 minutes then be able to erase both known good keys.

I did that then followed the quick prompt on the FORScan and did my known good first key, and then I did the second key that never started the truck and would just make the security light flash quickly.

Two minutes later I now have both key turning on the truck! w00t w00t!! When I get the spare key Friday I will get it cut then just do the normal procedure to add a spare key which I would not been able to do prior.

So happy! I wish I would have known/heard of FORScan years ago. I always had a fear that something might happen to my only working key but now I don't have to worry. Saved a trip to the dealer, and saved a couple hundred bucks and waiting there.

FORScan freaking rocks!!

-Nigel

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
That's great! Glad it worked out.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Otis413

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
A couple of quick questions about Forscan and PATS keys. (This is my first time using Forscan)

Q #1: Buying blank keys on-line.
What kind of keys should I look for? Is there a particular key I need for my 04 Ranger Edge (4L V6 SOHC)? I went to Ace Hardware today and they were out of the keys for my vehicle, the girl behind the counter dropped my key into a machine (RFID Reader??) and said the key was an "I Ford 150" I have no idea what that means.... Then she told me it would cost $89.00!! :shok: Each... HOLY COW!!
Amazon has them for as cheap as two for $20.oo, I rather go that route.

Q #2: Using Forscan to add a key (or two)
I only have one key, do I have to erase the existing keys (in memory) to add another one using Forscan? or can I just add a third key without erasing first?

The reason I ask:
I just bought this '04 Ranger Edge with one key this spring, the previous owner said he'd find the other key and give it to me as soon as he could.... So far no luck, but I'd like to keep the missing key "programed" so if/when I get it, it will still work.

I have Forscan loaded on an old (but good working) XP Toughbook laptop, the extended license, the OBD2 adapter and everything seems to be working. I just need to order the new keys and have them cut.

Thanks for any help!
Otis

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Guy I know locally, who is a member here, was messing with this on his Frankentruck this weekend, and couldn't get it to take, until he discovered one of his keys was a clone of the other one.

Otis413

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Guy I know locally, who is a member here, was messing with this on his Frankentruck this weekend, and couldn't get it to take, until he discovered one of his keys was a clone of the other one.

Is that what Ace does is clone them? that might explain the $89.oo price for one key. I had assumed I'd have to program them in myself.

Back in the day I had a '70 Plymouth Road Runner, a '72 Plymouth Satellite project car, and a '74 Plymouth van, I pulled the ign switches and all the door locks and re-did the pins so the same key fit all of 'em....
Oh for simpler times.... (I also had a lot more time on my hands back then.)

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I think you'll need the H84/H92 key blanks like these:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/302379971648

Have them cut to match, then use Forscan to delete all the existing keys out. Program in whatever you have. If the PO comes up with the other key later, you can use the normal method from the manual to add it in since at that point you'll have at least two valid keys to start with.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Is that what Ace does is clone them? that might explain the $89.oo price for one key. I had assumed I'd have to program them in myself.
Yes.

I think you'll need the H84/H92 key blanks like these:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/302379971648

Have them cut to match, then use Forscan to delete all the existing keys out. Program in whatever you have. If the PO comes up with the other key later, you can use the normal method from the manual to add it in since at that point you'll have at least two valid keys to start with.
Yeah, we know. What we didn't know was that one was a clone. He was messing with it while I wasn't there.

He had to do a PATS reset anyway. This is a 99 body, with an 01 SOHC, with 04 wiring, PCM, and IC. Frankentruck.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Yeah, we know. What we didn't know was that one was a clone. He was messing with it while I wasn't there.

He had to do a PATS reset anyway. This is a 99 body, with an 01 SOHC, with 04 wiring, PCM, and IC. Frankentruck.
Sorry, I should have quoted Otis when typing my response. The comments were geared towards his post and how to proceed.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals