• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Electrical fun and games

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
I just read through alot of the other threads posted on electrical problems and seeming like maybe just maybe its a ground wire but I am going to run this one past you guys just in case someone had the EXACT thing happen, I know only in a perfect world lol.

My truck is a 1989 Ford Ranger 4X4 2.9 5 spd with major miles on it. This truck is normally super reliable. But months ago it gave me a warning sign that something was up with the wiring. First I had read in a different thread about the starter turning over with the key off, yup no fun. I only had a hammer with me and hammered on the starter relay by the battery worked good didn't do that again.

Now yesterday I'm heading out of town had to slow for a light it died on me, first thing I thought was the fuel pump but it is less then a year old. A mechanic type stopped by to help me and figured it was my K& N cold air filter, which I didn't believe cause it was running perfectly the day before. Anyways now all the lights light up on the dash when I hit the brake with the key off LOL, and it does start but will not stay running, I'm thinking ground, which was my first thought when I say my park lights on on the back of the tow bed. Sooooooooo if anyone has had this one or has any ideas please let me know, this is frustrating and I don't have a book. Thanks in advance for any help!

Angie

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Can't say that I've had the exact symptoms as yours, but it does sound like a grounding problem. Start your checking at the battery's ground cable, and then work your way backwards. Good luck, and welcome to TRS.

mnmattie

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
definetely ground. had something similar happen on a different car, but same results. Poor ground

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the help, I can honestly say that electrical probs are a pita. The engine is covered in grease should of cleaned it when I had a chance : (. I'll post later and let you know what happens, thanks again

Angie

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
Ok we found the ground that is giving us problems, it is the ground that attaches to the frame on the passenger side of the truck, it has some sort of join in it, now what we would like to know is if anyone has elimiated this join and why it is there? Thanks in advance for any info

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Doesn't the frame ground also ground the engine block?

At least some RBVs ground the frame through a tap in the negative battery cable.

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
Now we are getting deeper, ok when you hit the brake key off the dash lights come on when this happens the truck will not fire. Now if we hit the signal light left the right side blinks...........arrrrggghhhh. We changed the signal handle thing which I had been into cause the wipers wouldn't shut off when I bought the truck, so everything worked good until we put the truck through gears then again the lights are on on the dash and again when this happens it won't run. Anyone know if there is a ground somewhere on the tranny or something? Rule number one do not lend out your clymers manual LOL. Thanks in advance for any info again.

Angie

mnmattie

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
there is a ground that attaches from the batter to the passenger side of the block and also attaches to the frame on the passenger side. follow the ground cable and you'll see what i'm talking about.

there should be at least 1-2 additional grounds from motor to firewall/chassis

there are grounds in the interior, one next to the computer and the other next to the e-brake assembly (at least on mine there is)

It doesn't hurt having an extra ground somewhere off the motor. when in doubt, add another ground. I had a 91 camaro that I needed to add 2 additional grounds since the original grounds were junk, and had the same problems you're experiencing.

Won't hurt to pull the negative cable and check for any corrosion, odds are it will need to be replaced, and additional grounds added off the motor.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Rather than pull cables, put the key in "run" (with or without the engine running) and measure the voltage drop from battery to engine block. It should be dead-nuts zero because there is a wire between them. If it isn't, you can probe around to find out exactly where the voltage drop lies. Don't disassemble anything for this test; you want it exactly like it was running. You can also try this while cranking (but pop out the ignition primary and/or fuel injector connector first).

This is a much more powerful test than even a visual. A visual can identify problems, but it can't identify a lack of a problem. Some corrosion is not visible without ruining the cable.

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
stranded again

Well we thought we had it, ran another ground and everything seemed fine until today. I notice that when things are going for a S**T the amp meter starts to act funny usually under charging ( we swapped out the alternator for another one we know is working), this happened after I hit abit of a bump today, didn't get the lights on the dash thing and it kept running but after I shut it off and tried to get going again all hell broke loose.

Then starter engaged and didn't quit, the starter relay was smoking at this point, and all I had with me was a hammer, great fun. Managed to break the battery connector for the ground to shut it off. Then I went for a walk to buy another, and some wire to try and connect another ground wire. It was weird, any ground at the battery would engage the starter motor with the key off. I know the PO had problems he had the starter grounded or does Ford have a ground wire to the Starter?

Anyways for some reason it decided to let me drive it for abit ran to my fathers to drop off a battery for my car and it started again. I thought about trying to start it under the hood and then disconnecting the battery to get me home, luckily he came home at this point and we disconnected the starter relay after the truck was running.

So on the way home the lights on the dash started again, when this happens the engine dies, so luckily its a manual shift cuz at this point it takes two people to start it LOL.

I totally believe its a ground problem, I will check out the other suggestions over the weekend, have to work. That sucker is going to be grounded like you wouldn't believe by the time I'm done with it. Well thats all she writes today, I'll try the suggestions and see what happens. The only grounds I see on the motor are at the top of the fuel ejector, and from the battery to the block, thats it. I will run another, or two

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
I know you're going through some major aggravation dealing with this problem. For what it's worth, the very first thing I would do with this truck would be to take care of the ground cables which are attached directly to the battery. What is most important, is that there are three major items needing direct connection to the battery negative post- the engine block; the body; and the frame. Doesn't really matter whether you restore the original factory setup, go with aftermarket pre-made ground cables, or make up your own heavy cables. Just be sure that all three of those main components are electrically connected to the battery negative. Get that done first, then see what you've got. Good luck.

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
Hi RobbieD, Ok we added another three grounds, and also had to put on the old starter relay as it fried the old one the other day, well I guess thats what happened it was getting steady power and was turning over the starter with the key off, anyways all seems good for now. The big test will be in the next couple of days I'm just going to stay close to home with it and see what happens, man I hope we got it but all seemed good, course it did before too LOL. thank you for your help : )

Angie

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals