• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

CB Hole/Exhaust Concerns

Adam A

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hey All,

Very new to the forum, but I need some help and thought this would be the best place to go to.

I'm installing a CB on my 05' Ranger 4x4 automatic XLT and am mounting the antenna on the hood (off to the side). I want to run both the power cables for the radio and the antenna through the firewall to make it look neat.

I was thinking about drilling into the rubber grommet with the other dashboard cables (to the top left of the breaks) and feeding both through. I would then recaulk the gap with silicone. Would that be acceptable? Could it let in exhaust or other nasty stuff into the cab?

Adam

PS - I'm also wondering about connecting it the the battery. I have an auxillary horn connected direct to the battery and have confirmed I can do the same with my CB radio. Does it matter whether I put a plastic washer between the two? Can the two ring wire connectors touch?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No that would be fine just make sure there is nothing on the other side of the firewall.

Also have a look at the emergency brake cable, there is often room in that grommet hole for extra stuff.

There is already power in the cab, key on power or key off(24/7) power, check fuse panel both types will be there, and both types are fused in the engine fuse box, with 40 or 60amp, so safe to use, but for sure install an inline fuse between Radio and any power source, even if it is fused already.

The Power Point(like cigarette lighter) has 20amp fuse, and is 24/7 power

Last edited:

Adam A

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
No that would be fine just make sure there is nothing on the other side of the firewall.

Also have a look at the emergency brake cable, there is often room in that grommet hole for extra stuff.

There is already power in the cab, key on power or key off(24/7) power, check fuse panel both types will be there, and both types are fused in the engine fuse box, with 40 or 60amp, so safe to use, but for sure install an inline fuse between Radio and any power source, even if it is fused already.

The Power Point(like cigarette lighter) has 20amp fuse, and is 24/7 power

I've heard that wiring into the fuse box adds some extra noise. Is this a myth? Also, how would I wire direct into the fuse box? Just with a tap?

Thanks again for the help and sorry for the rookie questions!

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
No problem on the questions...
Welcome to TRS :icon_thumby:

Yes, it's true connecting to the fuse box might prove noisy on a 2-way radio (and might not be a sufficiently robust power source for some radios anyway, SSB units in particular).

Best way I've found for wiring a 2-way radio is to run the positive lead straight to the battery (use a fuse sized appropriately for your radio at the battery... most CB units will take a 3-5 amp fuse), then find the nearest ground point for the radio's negative lead (a bolt holding the seat or steering column, for example) and ground the radio to that. Wiring to the battery should be no smaller than 14 AWG.

×2 on the grommets... The one for the p-brake cable has a good bit of room around it to poke some wires thru, or perhaps there might also be a nice big one for the clutch master cylinder that you don't have, which you could run your wiring thru there also.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals