• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Painting MDF?

BlueChariot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
When I get my box built, I'm considering painting it like I did the last one I made instead of getting it carpetted. I sprayed it with rubberized canned undercoating from Walmart and then cut out the cardboard Boss logo (since I had boss subs and a boss amp) and used it as a stencil. I want to paint the next one with the same style, but don't want to bother using undercoating (which I used because people's feet were on the middle when riding in jump seats). Whats a good but affordable black paint I can use that takes well to MDF?

Last box (styling example):

Simple but I liked the results.

Grey_04

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
any good paint will work for mdf. if your worried about the paint sticking I'd seal it with a couple coats of primer first that mdf is like a sponge with paint or stain. then most indoor latex paint would be fine.. you could even use the cheap $1.25 spray bombs from wally world...

BlueChariot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The undercoating took really well, the can just ran out quick and the damn stuff costs about 5 bucks after tax. In the end I might go ahead and spring for the undercoating because I know it will take pretty well but as far as multi-coat paint jobs, I'd worry about screwing it up as I'm not the best painter. That undercoat was easy to spray evenly tho.

Grey_04

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
just take your time and don't rush it and it should go on smooth,,

BlueChariot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
On second thought I think I'll go wiht the undercoating, goes on thick in 2 good coats, is obviously pinatable, and I just took into consideration it shoudl protect agaisnt this southern humidity, or if i ever have moisture problems due to a leaky back window like I had to fix on my last Ranger.

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
black texture paint works well too. so does rustoleum hammertone. its like 10.00 a quart at home depot. and goes on nice and thick

BlueChariot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have no access to a spray gun and i deffinitely dont want to attempt painting it with a brush.

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
OK. then its really up to you.

tylork92

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
regular spray paint sucks on the cut edges of MDF. you need to seal em up with something like some wood filler or even smear some wood glue on the ends when you build it. wood glue is sandable so its all good.

BlueChariot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I did notice a little raggedy flappyness on the corner edges after i painted the last one with undercoating. I honestly don't mind it not being perfect, just having an even coat on it.

I've decided to go with the undercoat, even tho I will probably have to buy like 6 cans for the whole thing.

killj0y

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Fix it till its broke!
Fiberglass or bondo on the outside and then sand and paint would prob look real nice that way.and protect against almost anything. Plus a cutout gasket of some sort for the sub and terminals.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i used MDF all the time during college. i majored in product design and we always had to make functioning models on stuff we were designing. i made an entire cart out of MDF one semester that was supposed to be used in a restaurant kitchen. paint the entire thing with kilz first. it'll seal it up and fill in any of the holes. if you wanna fill in any cracks, i'd look into using bondo. just dont pile it on too thick. sand down the kilz and then spray paint it, the paint will look MUCH better. i'll see if i can find a pic

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals