• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dash says high beams are on but they arnt??

MUDDING B-3000

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 , 1992
Make / Model
Ford , Ford
Engine Size
7.3L , 4L
Transmission
Manual
ok well yesterday when i shut my truck off i realized the high beam light was on even with the truck off an key out, all of my light switches are off and the high beams are off it still is on??

also when i pull the highbeam flicker to just flash the high beams it works but when i flick it to stay on they dont work??? any help

Roadkill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
7.3l turbo
Transmission
Automatic
Is it a pull towards you to flash the high beams and a push away to lock them on then pull back to turn them off?

Has there been any wiring changes lately?

Destroyer000

January 2009 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0. 4.0 Supercharged
Transmission
Manual
the 94 should be pull to flash people an push to "lock" it. might be a bad wire or a bad switch.. their really not bad to pull apart. i had to pull mine apart to fix my blinkers.

MUDDING B-3000

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 , 1992
Make / Model
Ford , Ford
Engine Size
7.3L , 4L
Transmission
Manual
ok ya they are pull to flash an push to lock but ya about 2 days before i fixed some wiring to hard wire my e fan cuz it was wired up wrong by previous owner so maybe that might of messed something up with a fuse or something??

Roadkill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
7.3l turbo
Transmission
Automatic
How do you know the fan was wired wrong? Was it working before you changed anything? Were the high beams and indicators working before you changed them?

Sounds like you should be blaming yourself for messing up the wiring rather than someone else. LOL

MUDDING B-3000

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 , 1992
Make / Model
Ford , Ford
Engine Size
7.3L , 4L
Transmission
Manual
HAHA ROAD KILLL very funny you know what well k the fan didnt work before and i hard wired it straight to switch and when the hell did i blame someone that guy that owned my truck did wire it like a mess and nothing worked an i fixed it all ok the high beams work after i fixed the wiring and then one day they dont so y dont u stop fucking ragin on someone when they are asking for help thats y they have this site toget help so you kno u helped me before with shit about my truck and one time a lil thing goes wrong u just gotta make fun of the lil person that needs some help fom people that kno more about my truck then i do

Roadkill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
7.3l turbo
Transmission
Automatic
You need to calm down there a little bit and relax there son. Maybe get some spelling and grammar lessons as well. j/k

Why would you wire it to a switch. It should go from the sensor on the block to a relay. The relay will have a direct feed from the battery or distribution block through a short stop (resetting breaker basically). Upon the sensor tripping at the proper temp it triggers the relay (in a sense like your hard wired switch) which then provides power for the fan. Most e-fans on startup can take around 40+ Amps then drop to about 20'ish to just run.

If the fan stopped running all of a sudden look for a short (causing the breaker to trip), or the in block sensor has failed. The in block sensor (if memory serves) is at the front of the block and has a single wire coming off of it. Or is that the gauge sensor in that spot? Crap, I can't remember which and I don't have my book handy. It should be easy enough to back trace the wires to the sensor. Testing one of those sensors is easy, it is just a dielectric switch, test it with a VOM and hot water. It will drop to 0 Ohms across the body to the pin when dropped in hot water (boiling works).

MUDDING B-3000

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 , 1992
Make / Model
Ford , Ford
Engine Size
7.3L , 4L
Transmission
Manual
roadkill sorry about that i was just having a bad an that didnt help when u said that an i took it the wrong way sorry

but ya why i wired it to a switch was that me an my pops changed everything new block sensor, new relay, and put new wire from the fan to the relay and new blcok sensor and it still didnt work the temp would fly up to about 220 in about 5-10 min so i had to beable to drive my truck to get to school and work so we wired it to a fan and my truck never gets past 160 now, when i have a break from work im goin to take it to my mechanic and get him to check over everything so for now i just have it wired to a switch so i can drive my truck without over heating it.

and sorry again for flipping out my bad

Roadkill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
7.3l turbo
Transmission
Automatic
Was there a fuse or short stop (looks like a metal block with two bolts sticking out of it) in there as well some where? I wonder if the short stop died or the fuse is toast?

So with a new block sensor, relay, and wires the fuse/breaker(short stop) is about all in that whole circuit. You know the fan works on a switch (hopefully fused). I'd start by checking for a fuse/breaker, then take a VOM and check your voltages at all the different spots they connect. It's a really simple circuit and is isolated from everything else so it will be easy to troubleshoot the fan. Just take it one step at a time and be thorough.

As for the high beam indicator, it sounds like there is a wire crossed in either the switch or one of the many possible connections on its way to the dash. I'll look in my explorer manual to check it's wiring diagram as well as my Ford service CD. I think I have one for a '94 era truck. If it's not too large of a file I may be able to send you a copy of it for reference if you don't have a Haynes/Chiltons manual.

BTW: Don't sweat it. We all have bad days. They don't seem to get any better sometimes as you get older either.

MUDDING B-3000

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 , 1992
Make / Model
Ford , Ford
Engine Size
7.3L , 4L
Transmission
Manual
ok cool thanks ya i got one of those reapair manuals for the 94 and up ranger?? if thats what u mean. also yes the fan is wired to a fuse before the switch and ill have to check all the fuses to see but i notice today when i was driving to school it went off?? for the first time in 2 days and it hasnt came on again but now its the e brake light is on but very faint and just enough to tell that its glowing lol my truck has a mind of its own i swear it just likes to bug me with crap like this. so im goin to have to go over all the wires behind the dash

an ya could a loose ground wire cause some of this??

Roadkill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
7.3l turbo
Transmission
Automatic
Must be gremlins! LOL

The e-brake light being on can mean low brake fluid. It usually just lights right up though. Bad grounds (engine or otherwise) can cause lots of little odd problems in the electrical. After all that power has to go somewhere else to get back to the battery (in essence).

MUDDING B-3000

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 , 1992
Make / Model
Ford , Ford
Engine Size
7.3L , 4L
Transmission
Manual
so with that light being on just a little bit might mean low brake fluid k ill check my brake fluid level out, also when it stops rainin ill just go over my truck checking wires and connections and grounds all that lil stuff and hopefully find the problem

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals