• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

need horn for safety, please help

flat-black-ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
hey guys i have a 89 ford ranger and the horn won't work. i have tested the wire goin to the horn and i get 12 or more volts, but when i hook it back up to the horn i don't have any volts. Could this be the relay or something else?... Does anyone know where the relay for the horn is?

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
You get 12V across the connector with the horn removed, but nothing with it connected? Your horn is shorted. Confirm with an ohmmeter, then replace it.

flat-black-ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
i don't have an ohmmeter but i have tried two horns... when i run a live wire form the battery directly to the horn they work. when i hook the wire back up to them nuthin. I get 12 volts fromt he wire itself but when it's hooked the the horn i have nuthing. do i have to have both horns for the cercuit to work because the turck don't have the driverside horn. looks like it's been missing for awhile and i can't get any volts from that wire.

shizzy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
is the horn properly grounded to the truck?

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
If you don't have cheap diagnostic equipment, or don't know how to use it, you're wasting your time. You need someone who knows what they are doing.

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Did you check the fuses? Which wire has voltage? The wire going to the horn button will have voltage, and when the button is pressed it grounds the wire closing the relay contacts. Another circuit from the relay then supplies voltage to honk the horn. I don't know where the relay is located, but it would help to find it.:)shady

bottledgt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
who needs a horn...cant say ive ever used one or needed it

flat-black-ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
well i found out it more then my horn. i don't have a horn, hazard signals, brake lights or wipers. if i ground the wipers to the engine then they work. I think i have a short somewhere cause they all have power till i go to use them and then theres nothin. how do i find a short or can you buy just a wiring harness for the dash? please help i am gettin so fustrated.

rngrdngr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
just use ur middle finger:thefinger:

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
A screwed up multi-function switch(turn signal switch under the steering wheel) could cause all of the stated problems. Sounds like it is shot.:)shady

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
well i found out it more then my horn. i don't have a horn, hazard signals, brake lights or wipers. if i ground the wipers to the engine then they work. I think i have a short somewhere cause they all have power till i go to use them and then theres nothin. how do i find a short or can you buy just a wiring harness for the dash? please help i am gettin so fustrated.
Dude, the first thing I'd check is the main ground cable. Sounds like it's good from the battery to the engine block, but bad from the battery to the body. The original main ground cable on an '89 goes to five places from the battery- the main cable goes to the frame, then to the block; there's a pigtail to the radiator support, and two round plugs.

flat-black-ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
hey thankx for the help everyone but i got the ole'girl fixed up. turns out it was a corroded wire in the harness behind the rad. spliced a new piece in and it works good as new again.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals