• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

hydrogen

ptrodgers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
well since i have a 2.9 i am posting this in this section. Has anyone hooked a hydrogen hybrid kit in their trucks and if so do they work well. What kind of mpg's is anybody getting?

Roadkill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
7.3l turbo
Transmission
Automatic
Now you've opened up a can of worms. There are loads of folks on this site that jump all over this idea and have never experimented themselves.

Lots of info out there on it though. Give it a shot and let us all know how you do. Make sure to document everything really well too.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Oh man, where is MAKG when you need him...

superdave1984

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Queue James Denton.
Look, me and a buddy built one of these things. He even went to a class to learn EXACTLY how it was done. Quite simply, it did not live up to billing. Save your money and do something else with your time. Or, better yet, send ME the money you were going to spend on the stuff to build the thing and I'll fart in a ziploc bag and mail it to you. Same end result.

chasracer

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I am new here, in fact this is the first post so I am not going to be alarmed at the flames I get on this but here goes.

First off, most people that have tried one of the HHO units simply did not experiment enough to come up with good results or their expectations were sky-high and what little improvement that they received in mpg (if they even measured it correctly) was not enough for them to build upon.

Second, I don't sell the units and I don't make money off of it other than what I save in gasoline not purchased.

Third, I am not going to try and argue with the scientific sticky, I am sure those measured results are correct.

I am getting to work on my '85 with the 2.3 EFI/5 speed trans. I bought this truck almost 3 years ago for my son, who decided it wasn't his style so I took it back. For the last 2 years it has sat in the backyard collecting cobwebs and pine needles. Last weekend, I got it moving again and it now is sitting in my garage up on stands. First order of work is a complete clutch replacement, then to figure out the cold start/idle issue. Some brake work is needed along with replacement of fluids. Already replaced the radiator last weekend along with coolant due to previous overheating issue. So I am looking forward to picking the brains around here and getting my little truck ready for it's new life as a toad behind my RV.

Now back to the HHO stuff, which I am also going to put on the truck once I have the engine running as sound as possible. Just over two years ago my new 32 foot RV was getting an average of 7.2 -7.4 miles measured with a scan gauge tool. Using a 2-quart HHO unit, some minor changes to the ego sensors and some experimenting with mix ratios, I was able to get my mileage up to 11.4 at it's best. Normal mileage runs about 10.6 - 10.8 and I really happy with that for the cost and work involved. Now I am not going to tell you how to do this as there is way too much information available that you can research and figure out yourself. The few people that I have spoken to about it never try it but are usually quick to call it a hoax. The deal is you're not trying to replace all of the gasoline that you use, you just use the hydrogen as an additional fuel added to the current air/fuel mix, therefore cutting down some on the gasoline that you need to burn. Are the units fool-proof? Nope not at all, you have to use some common sense with them, it can be dangerous stuff, you have to keep them relatively clean and in long term freeze conditions, it's easier to just disconnect them. And is it plug and play - hardly, but it does work and the results are going to be different depending on a lot of factors. If you want to work on it and I do mean work on it, you can get some decent results, but if you expect to just throw a unit on your vehicle, add a mix of water and soda and expect 50%+ fuel economy increases, you're kidding yourself. It's not going to happen.

Last edited:

r1hatman

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I talked to a guy who put one on his yota and he said it worked, he said he got better mpg and about 10 more hp? I thought I would try it when I get my 289 installed. I heard not to use it on newer vehicles cause it messes with the computer stuff,(sensors) etc..

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
I saw a similar devise work on a big rig.......... a .9 mpg increase ...... went from 6.2 to 7.1. It was a blind test in a tractor that was back in my shop every day and the driver did not know we installed it..... I am taking the actual mileage reported by the truck's ECM. I have on installed on my current tractor and have not noticed an increase but the current already 7.1 mpg before the install.

Ranger Kip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Fleet
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Confused and Intolerant
the result is an increase in mpg, but the difference is that its a lot more expensive to run it. and maintaince is a bitch, trust me, my bus driver is a diesle tech for Penn State, and he was telling me about this on the last day of school, and he suggested that the only thing I should ever turn into a hydro is a waterjet, because its too expensive to refuel.

chazzone

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Come on guys, lets' not get this started again.
Brown's gas generators do not and can not work.
They are all a scam, and no one that understood simple physics would even consider them.
So, if you post that you know someone who knows someone who thought that they got better mileage or hp, then know that you've been lied to.
Repeat, they do not, and can not work.
In fact, there is even a sticky on this subject, and I know that there are some "shade trees" out there that think they can get by physics, but if you're not smart enough to pass the class, then you're not smart enough to beat God.
So, let's be done with this.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size

COPPERHEAD85

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
When it came to Science..........he would argue with a fence post as my Dad says!

chasracer

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Come on guys, lets' not get this started again.
Brown's gas generators do not and can not work.
They are all a scam, and no one that understood simple physics would even consider them.
So, if you post that you know someone who knows someone who thought that they got better mileage or hp, then know that you've been lied to.
Repeat, they do not, and can not work.
In fact, there is even a sticky on this subject, and I know that there are some "shade trees" out there that think they can get by physics, but if you're not smart enough to pass the class, then you're not smart enough to beat God.
So, let's be done with this.
Yet again, no problem - I don't really care if you think it works, claim it doesn't or whatever. I have results, it was easy, the cost is minimal, maintenance isn't any tougher than an oil change and if anyone thinks you can drive a 20,000 pound RV "nice" and pick up 3-4 mpg, their kidding themselves. When you fill up at $3.00 a gallon and the tank is 75 gallons deep, believe me you notice real quick when it takes less $$$.

Mike Tonon

Yet again, no problem - I don't really care if you think it works, claim it doesn't or whatever. I have results, it was easy, the cost is minimal, maintenance isn't any tougher than an oil change and if anyone thinks you can drive a 20,000 pound RV "nice" and pick up 3-4 mpg, their kidding themselves. When you fill up at $3.00 a gallon and the tank is 75 gallons deep, believe me you notice real quick when it takes less $$$.
SHUT UP! The oil companies need money! Just take other peoples word for it. If other people say something, its always true! hahaha

I started fooling around with HHO when I had my 87 ranger, but I sold it shortly after and didn't want to play around with the engine on my new vehicle. I can't personally say whether it works or not to give you better mpg's, but it might be more trouble than its worth. I will say that I took the tailgate off of my 87 ranger a few times and the mpg's seemed to be between 1/2 and 1 mpg higher when I did that as opposed to leaving it on and up.

Never take someones word for anything! Learn for yourself, its the only way to know.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals