• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Battery/Idling/Random Issues. PLEASE help, i really need someones expertise

Rebel

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So quick history.

2001 Ranger 2WD 2.3L

Had a few issues with the batter connections, corrosive etc. Replaced the terminals. Still had issues.

Friend replaced the battery and accidentally got one that was reverse terminal...hooked it up and all my stuff went crazy, windsheild wipers on when shouldnt etc. Had him disconnect it immediately. Found it to be wrong and replaced with a new correct battery....three days later i got stranded in a parking lot and had to get a jump...next day i was driving and my truck just slowly died...the abs light came on, then the airback light....slowly allt he components lost battery until my truck just died. Found it to be an issue with the alternator...had it replaced. Replaced the battery again just to make sure. Had no issues for about 2 weeks. Got in it to leave the other day and NOTHING, its completely dead, no battery charge at all. Turn the key and nothing.

Gave it a jump to get it going and it will stay on but i am having Idling issues. it drops below 500rpms and struggles to keep the engine running.

Took it back to the shop to have them test it. Alternator is good and replaced battery because they thought it might have a bad cell...said the idling could be related to that.

After the new battery its still doing the same thing, idling weird. Replaced the Idle Air Control Valve yesterday...no change, still has issues idling.

This morning i went to go to work and bam...DEAD BATTERY. What is going on ?

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Check the Megafuse in the underhood fusebox.
Alternator is NOT charging the battery. That's the problem. Hooking the battery up backwards probably fried it.

Rebel

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So, i had my truck at the shop for them to do a draw test. They found an issue with the ground cabling, replaced the alternator again, said it was faulty.

The idling, he said my AC Compressor is trying to lock up and causing the stalling, is the the case ? also is there a way to fix the compressor without having to replace it. They are quoting 600

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Rather than continue to pay a shop to quote you silly things so they can make money off of you...

Unplug the electrical connection on the AC compressor (which will prevent it from activating the clutch), and see if it continues to have problems idling. The AC can put a load on the engine to drop the idle some, but it should not be stalling the motor.

Does it always idle at 500 rpm?

Rebel

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So, everything has been resolved.

I have my family mechanic look at it and he found the issue.

The AC Compressor did have to be replaced but it was due to the AC Compressor relay being messed up causing the Compressor to be on at all times....thus killing the battery all the time.

I was able to swap the Windshield wiper sprayer relay for the ac relay until i can get the part, everyone seems to have to special order it.

Thanks for all your help ! Its all appreciated

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals