• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Power and idling issues

Rangerman87

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'88,'11
Make / Model
ford,mitsubishi
Engine Size
2.9,2.0L turbo
Transmission
Manual
I seem to be having some of the same symptoms as alot of these guys with power issues.Here's my question,I told a buddy of mine at work about what my truck is doin' and he said it could be a worn timing chain,could that cause the major power drop?1st is good,2nd it drops down big time along with 3rd.It basically hardly has any power to get out of it's own way.I had the timing set after I dropped in a new dizzy,the shop timed it right but the idle sucks.Any help would GREATLY appreciated.One more thing,it has trouble starting.

Last edited:

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
I seem to be having some of the same symptoms as alot of these guys with power issues.Here's my question,I told a buddy of mine at work about what my truck is doin' and he said it could be a worn timing chain,could that cause the major power drop?1st is good,2nd it drops down big time along with 3rd.It basically hardly has any power to get out of it's own way.I had the timing set after I dropped in a new dizzy,the shop timed it right but the idle sucks.Any help would GREATLY appreciated.One more thing,it has trouble starting.
Well it would be good to get the codes....I realize that is an answer that is given Lots...but often ignored... you're the one that is around it ...it is Super difficult for the folks here to help without a clearer picture... more times than not you get a wide range of possibilities to the solution some helpful, some less than helpful. Having done some research already I'm sure that you can see that.

your symptoms could be remedied by a simple bad ground,:yahoo: to a complex engine and or transmission rebuild.:sad:

Sorry, don't mean to sound snippy:annoyed:....just that from your description....it can be literally MANY things.:shok:

SO, we'll start by asking ...What has been done already to correct this issue?:icon_thumby:

Rangerman87

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'88,'11
Make / Model
ford,mitsubishi
Engine Size
2.9,2.0L turbo
Transmission
Manual
So far nothing,it's done nothing but snow here.Could vacuum leaks cause those symptoms.It's cool,doesn't sound you're getting snippy,it could be a number of things.My buddy told me it's a different engine but who knows.Would a timing chain cause it though?

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
So far nothing,it's done nothing but snow here.Could vacuum leaks cause those symptoms.It's cool,doesn't sound you're getting snippy,it could be a number of things.My buddy told me it's a different engine but who knows.Would a timing chain cause it though?
Yes, a bad timing chain could cause this....but the history of the 2.9 indicates that it would be far down the list.

Lets rule out simple /easy stuff 1st.:icon_idea:
Is this is a manual tranny?? or Automatic?

You mentioned hard starting...lets zero in on that for now...So how hard starting is it?? do you run the starter so long that the battery is weezing , rolling over slow, then lights up?? what??:icon_confused: More description please.

When was the last time you tuned this up???:dunno:
(tune up = plugs, wires, cap, rotor, air and fuel filters)

Rangerman87

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'88,'11
Make / Model
ford,mitsubishi
Engine Size
2.9,2.0L turbo
Transmission
Manual
So timing chain I can more than likely rule out.It cranks but after a few tries,the battery is fine,I don't crank it for that long.It's been a little while since it's had a tune-up,I've got Accel plug wires on it,swapped them out for some Crappa Auto plug wires and it ran worse so I put the accel's back on,the wire size might have something to do with that.I've got the Bosch plat 4's on it,I replaced the fuel filter this past summer,air filter is good(k&n).It's easy to get lazy when it's crappy out(snow,ice and cold).I don't want to drive it due to the fact that it's r3 conditions out meaning 4x's have to have chains and it's so down on power.I'm gonna ask my pops if he can give me a ride to the parts store.It's more than likely something very simple,driving 122 miles a day every week probably didn't help out.All this started happening after my buddy,in all his wisdom (saying it's easier pulling it) and I pulled the motor to change the clutch,my first time.Sorry being such a pain in the ass but this shit is getting old.Thanks for the help.One more thing,could the high pressure fuel pump cause these symptoms,I've already replaced the in-tank,more times than I've wanted too,I also noticed fuel in the shrader valve,I've got the cap on it to keep the fuel from leaking out.Again thanks!

Last edited:

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
So timing chain I can more than likely rule out.It cranks but after a few tries,the battery is fine,I don't crank it for that long.It's been a little while since it's had a tune-up,I've got Accel plug wires on it,swapped them out for some Crappa Auto plug wires and it ran worse so I put the accel's back on,the wire size might have something to do with that.I've got the Bosch plat 4's on it,I replaced the fuel filter this past summer,air filter is good(k&n).It's easy to get lazy when it's crappy out(snow,ice and cold).I don't want to drive it due to the fact that it's r3 conditions out meaning 4x's have to have chains and it's so down on power.I'm gonna ask my pops if he can give me a ride to the parts store.It's more than likely something very simple,driving 122 miles a day every week probably didn't help out.All this started happening after my buddy,in all his wisdom (saying it's easier pulling it) and I pulled the motor to change the clutch,my first time.Sorry being such a pain in the ass but this shit is getting old.Thanks for the help.One more thing,could the high pressure fuel pump cause these symptoms,I've already replaced the in-tank,more times than I've wanted too,I also noticed fuel in the shrader valve,I've got the cap on it to keep the fuel from leaking out.Again thanks!
Yes the pump on the rail could present issues like this...so could the FPR or combination of the 2. Are gaining oil level??

Some others here mention that the 2.9 is not very friendly to the modern spark plug....most preferr to stick to the motorcraft plug...nothing fancy
I went with the Motorcraft and a 45-46 heat range,(high on acceptiple range for the 2.9, cause I drive a short distance to work. Haven't had any issue there.

There is a ground wire on the back side of the block/head, make sure it is attached, considering that resent work on the clutch.

a compression check would help access the condition of the engine

Rangerman87

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'88,'11
Make / Model
ford,mitsubishi
Engine Size
2.9,2.0L turbo
Transmission
Manual
Well,I checked the engine and noticed the no 6 wire was off,started right up.Still runs a little rough so I went to Crappa Auto and bought new plugs and cap/rotor,so I'll see how that goes.It's always something simple.By the way,open diffs SUCK!

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals