• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Forward/reverse switch for old electric cart

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
My family ended up with a Taylor Dunn utility cart from the 70's, it's 36V electric with a 9" rear end, 6' flat bed, resistor based speed control that is intact and a forward/reverse switch that is in pieces. Apparently it's ~$35 for new contacts for the switch that it came with but we only have about 3/4 of the switch... I'm crafty enough I could make it go but am missing the lever and such... Apparently these things are ~300 amp max and the forward/reverse switch shouldn't be handling the switching load making the life of the switch easier... It's ~$130 for a switch for an EZ Go golf cart, a WHOLE LOT more for a fancy speed control and everything to update it, or $30 for a double pole double throw safety knife switch I found HERE. It's rated at 100A which I imagine might be for each pole so 200A in this application

Thoughts? I'm tempted to give it a shot, it's cheap enough...

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
What's the watt or AMP rating of the motor at 36volts?

One of the big problems for electric vehicles was dealing with the AMPs, higher amps tend to WELD together contacts if they arc or heat up, throttle controls and forward/reverse switches were the main issues that had to be dealt with

Even if motor is rated under 100amps at 36volts the 300amp contact surface may have been used to prevent heat up

You also have to reverse BOTH 36v and Ground to the motor in most systems

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
construct the "H" path with 4 starter relays? then you could use a low current switch to trigger the relays. I'm not sure how a starter relay would like to stay energized for an extended amount of time.
or look on Grainger for a real relay, but industrial stuff is very expensive.

2trux

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9 L
Transmission
Manual
How about a solenoid pack for a winch. They are designed to reverse motor direction and carry a lot of amps.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals