• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2002 4x4

RangerJ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I am still looking to buy another Ranger,this time I have found a 2002 4x4,auto trans,appears to be in good shape based on pics.Was this a good year for the Rangers,If anyone has any advice please share with me.Thanks

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I don't think there were "bad" years for Rangers, except 2013 and up :)

2002 had 3 engines offered
2.3l DOHC 4cyl Duratec, had heated thermostat and IMRC issues
3.0l Vulcan, reliable but under powered V6, used from 1991 to 2008 in Rangers, so a good "little" engine
4.0l SOHC, had timing chain issues until 2004 model year

Automatic transmissions are tricky in used vehicles, nothing to do with Ford, Chevy or ??.
How they were used and maintained decides "miles to go" before rebuild is needed, same as Clutch for a manual trans, parts DO WEAR OUT :)
2002 used 5R44E in 2.3l and 3.0l, 5R55E for 4.0l
No real fingers to be pointed at anything specific on these for 2002 model year

4WD Rangers used 4x4 control module in 2002, these were known to fail, I would not say "common", just a known issue.

2002 will have PATS(passive anti-theft system), PATS keys are needed to start the engine

Check fluids, smell fluids.
Make sure Check Engine Light(CEL) comes on with the key, then goes off and stays off after startup
Ask to see the Title, you don't want to pay full fair for "rebuilt" or "salvaged" title

Ford has a very good "Used vehicle check", runs about $150
See if seller will allow you to pay for this test, if not you may want to rethink this one, could just be seller doesn't want the hassle of you taking it in, but he could also be hiding something major.

Last edited:

RangerJ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks RonD,for your response and info.

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I agree with the above, most all older rangers were good. That's why they made so many rangers and that's why you still see so many rangers on the road today. Whenever I look at a car I start underneath. I live in Ohio so rust is a big factor in vehicles. You can learn a lot about a vehicle by looking underneath it. Check for rust on frame around the leaf spring mounts seem to be the worse spot. check the leaf spring hangers, those r common on all rangers. check the fluids. listen to the motor running while idling. see if it idles good and sounds good. ALWAYS check the title. you don't want to get burned on a title discrepancy like a salvage or rebuilt. That will change the price dramatically. I had a salvage vehicle and it had issue after issue after issue and tons of little things kept breaking that would just irritate you. so check for rust, fluid levels and what they look like, listen to that motor purr, check the title and drive it. If they don't let you drive it then don't bother. Probably got something seriously wrong with it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals