• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Phoenix Project

Dmgctrl88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hello All,

I am new to the forum, however, I have been viewing the forum for quite awhile.

I currently am conducting my first V8 swap/ engine build. The focus of this build is to convert my existing engine and transmission on a budget, with potential upgrades later down the road.

First off, here is what we are working with:

1986 Ford Ranger XL 4x4
2.9 V6
A4LD
3 Inch Body Lift
31' All Terrain Tires

The replacement engine will be a 302, with a C4 transmission. I will retain the original Borg Warner 1350 transfer case.

I recently purchased a 302 engine, in parts, and a C4 transmission, with extra engine parts.

Late 80's Mustang:
Engine Block from a GT
Intake Manifold & Intake

Early 90's Mustang:
Heads
Intake Manifold & Intake HO

Late 80's Crown Victoria LX Police:
Crankshaft
Dual Sump Oil Pan

1973 C4 Transmission

And now here are the pictures.

http://i58.tinypic.com/jijfgy.jpg

An old crank and a set of pistons that I'll no longer be using.

Any input is welcome.

Last edited:

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
Since your engine is all pieces, I would take everything to a machine shop and get the tolerances matched up like the the connecting rods to the crankshaft, that looks like it needs turned down or a new one will be needed.

You have e7 heads, but I'm nut sure what pistons you have (cast or forged) but if they came out of a mustang, your forged.

Also use a mustang camshaft if you already aren't.

I would, however, get a transmission with OD such as an AOD trans unless you don't plan on doing much highway driving

Other then that, you are off to a great start.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

jhammel85

Awesome! Looks great so far...I must say, the stance that truck has is great. They're 31" x 10.5" tires?

Dmgctrl88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yes, they are 31 x 10.5's with a 3 inch body lift. It has cleared some crazy ditches.

Some yuppies in their brand new jeep passed me when my spare tire gate fell. (5-50 corded it back) They were surprised after I cleared that ditch.

Right now I'm looking for a few other parts, and I will be getting a new garage soon. I'm going to be looking for a C5 4x4 tail housing that I can put onto my C4.

Last edited:

jhammel85

Sure is a clean truck. I'd love to have a bed like that...Mine is getting new arches next week and hopefully, some time soon, a new (to me) ford stamped tailgate.

I just need to find one around here that's not complete junk.

Dmgctrl88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Looks like I will need to rebuild my transmission. Some other forums indicated that a c4 is rather easy to rebuild and that someone even did it blind. I see this as an opportunity to learn a new skill, and I can install a shift kit while im at it. Im still looking for a local c5 tail end though.

Dmgctrl88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Update

Since then:

Since my last post, alot of things happened. In June, I ended up quitting my job due to work being slow.

When I started this project I had a slight hint that I was getting in a little over my head.. Soo I decided to take the plunge and learn as much as I could about it. I took up a new job as an intern at a local speed shop, and since then have been absorbing the whole experience, learning very much since then.

Over the summer I had purchased an old 1983 F100 with a 302 and a C6 from a buddy in the Guard. The truck didn't run and I didn't know what to do initially.

Based on what I learned at the speed shop, I was able to get the truck running and flip it, almost learning the hard way through long days and nights of working on it.

Back to the ranger: I was initially working on it at the house that I was renting, disassembling and disconnecting everything from the motor and transmission. To the point of even taking apart the C4 I was going to rebuild as well.

Circumstances dictated I could no longer live at my house, so I had to move. I was able to press on and move everything at the speed shop I intern at.
-----
As of now we're at the speed shop:

As you can see, I recently stripped and vatted the rest of my block. The next thing I need to do is clean it of the residue from vatting and then machine it.

Upon inspection of the cylinders, the bores appear to have a slight ridge, and are sized at approximately 4.005" avg. and will require a bore and hone to 4.020. With this discovery I will have to purchase new pistons, preferably of the flat top variety for the new bore size.

Flat tops should be fine since I already have E7 heads. Right now I can't afford to budget new heads, nor do I want to at this time for fear of overpowering the rest of the stock drive train.

My goal is to setup this engine and transmission for easy upgrading down the road.
-----
Looking ahead:

We will need to measure the journals on the crown victoria crank and stock mustang cam to see if they still can be used. The crank appears to be 95% rust free, while the cam has some bad rust isolated to some journals at one end.

http://i58.tinypic.com/2nrjbk4.jpg

I want to use a stock mustang crank for more lower end power and torque.

All that remains for the engine after it is machined, is to purchase a rebuild kit with the right sized pistons, and then assembly.

I opened the C4, and everything looked decent first hand. The fluid was slightly cooked, and it looked like the the exterior sat outside for a long period of time. I plan on purchasing a shift kit, and a rebuild kit for it as well.

http://i57.tinypic.com/2mdnc0i.jpg

I spent a whole night til 4:00 AM studying how these things work, and in general how automatic transmissions work. It's truly how impressive these things are. It was cool to learn that this was one of Ford's first produced in house transmissions, and just how simple this thing really is.

I will also need to get a C5 tailhousing to match my BW1350 transfer case, and I will also need to upgrade the input shaft to a (12/24/2015 It was a 26 and is usable according to the pros despite pitting on the mid section, was a 26 spline anyways) 26 spline (since its worn anyways).

After the engine and transmission are complete, I will need to rewire "a couple of things". I may need to get a harness from Painless. I will also need to acquire the brackets needed to fit the front of the engine for the accessories, as well as a radiator, with test fitting n' such.

Well, that's all that I have for now. I'll keep y'all posted as I continue.

I'd display pics, but they keep coming out HUGE.

Last edited:

Dmgctrl88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Pressing on, I disassembled the C4 today. I'm trying to find out if my existing 24 spline input shaft will still work or whether or not I need to upgrade it to the 26 spline. I'm also wondering if I need to change out the output shaft if I'll be using a C5 tail end. Here is the lot of parts in the shop.

Last edited:

Dmgctrl88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Got the transmission rebuilt. Yes it's been a few months but I am finally ready to press on. I went over every square inch of that transmission and I also installed a transgo shift kit. I utilized the video by bad shoe productions and it has been a pleasant build experience.

I found a C5 output shaft and tail house from Transmission Parts and Cores (Ebay) out in California. They have them time to time as it seems they have a huge inventory of all kinds of different parts.

I now have to make something of those engine parts.

Also, Merry Christmas!

prymetime1

Reaction score
Trans looks great all painted up like that. What kind of rebuild n shift kit did u use? And merry Christmas to u also.

Dmgctrl88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have a transgo shift kit. I figured the green paint would give it an 80's kind of "extreme" look. The engine will be Ford blue, and I don't really need to paint the truck quite yet.

I have to get the motor built, and right now I'm doing all the research and planning beforehand. It will also be my first motor build.

Dmgctrl88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I completely gutted the heads. The valves are in overall good condition. I took them to a wire wheel and cleaned out everything I could within the heads. I lapped the valves and got everything back together with the exception of a valve spring retaining washer, which busted from stress relief as I took them apart.

My buddy has pushrods, gotta get some lifters, rocker arms, and all that jazz, as well as put new bolts and nuts on the rods.

I will be ready for engine assembly after the block is bored and honed. The decks, the mains, and everything else is within spec.

I already have the pistons, and will be boring out to 3.020.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Dmgctrl88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Made quite a bit of progress on the Ranger. I finished the motor and put it and the tranny together along with the transfer case.

Afterwards I did a test fit inside the ranger to get measurements and took it out to make the slots. I ended up putting the motor mounts where they were originally placed on the mustang, instead of swapping them.

Unfortunately I slotted the motor about an inch forward and it's placement makes the drain bolt on the rear sump slightly touch the twin i beam barely.

It also puts the motor up closer so I may have to do a few extra modifications to the core support.

Ultimately this is where it ended up.

After this, I intend to convert my 2.9 wiring harness to accommodate the new 5.0, get the radiator and front end accessories in place, transmission linkage, hoses and lines, and then driveshafts and exhaust in place.

A few points of order. Since the transmission is closer to the front, my existing 4x4 shifter is also moved forward and will be a pain to convert, even with the possibility of finding a C5 shifter. I have to lengthen my rear driveshaft or find another one and shorten it, and I have to shorten my front drive shaft.

Dmgctrl88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I would only punch it out as far as needed to clean it up, you can't bore a SBF a whole lot to start with.

If you have a manual t-case this might help you:

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103015&highlight=linkage&page=3
That is the same problem I'm running into. Do you know how to find one or convert mine? I still have the old A4LD tail housing and it looks like the bolt patterns are the same. I'll check for sure next time I go to the shop.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals