• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

V8 Radiator recommendations?

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I currently have the stock 91-94 Expo radiator in my Ranger with a 302. I've overheated it twice and I feel like it isn't doing its job. I am using the factory gauge which seems to work just fine. I am using a worthless pusher fan in front of the radiator. I admit my problems are most likely fan related. I've already tucked my Radiator in about 1.5" into my core support and I've only got about an 1" between the radiator and mechanical fan stud (it screws onto it). My 302 is pushed back as far as it will go due to the zf5 trans.

If I can find a radiator that fits under the core support and tucks in I'd love to use a mechanical fan.

Is there an aftermarket radiator that fits my needs?

ford_ranger12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
On eBay if you type in v8 ranger there's a v8 swap radiator that will show up that tucks under the core support and the filler neck comes out and up to fill it and it's all aluminum. If I remember it was a little expensive though and not sure what year models it's for or if you could keep the condenser but it sounds like you don't have a condenser if your fan is in the front and most radiators that fit the ranger will interchange. I was able to use the 5.0 explorer radiator so I didn't have these problems but if you need a part time fix, my ranger had overheating problems once and I put in a 180* thermostat to get back and forth to work and while it was in there it was impossible to run hot. I had no fan on the motor (overheating problem was bad clutch fan) but I drove it all day long all kinds of traffic and it never got up to temperature. But that was only for a few days until I fixed it and put the 192* back in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ford_ranger12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just checked that radiator on eBay says 82-94 rangers. Don't know if it'll work on yours or not but it's an option

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It looks pretty decent to me. I was expecting $400+.

Here is a pic of my setup

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

ford_ranger12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Now that I see your running explorer FEAD I'd say you could probably get by using the 5.0 radiator no modifications. I'm not 100% on that but I've had a 4.0 and 5.0 explorer radiator in mine and my clutch fan left a ring cutout in the 4.0 because it actually sat closer to the engine than the 5.0. If you're already running the 5.0 radiator then the eBay one may be the way to go. But If not I paid $120 brand new I believe for my 5.0 radiator. The only other problem may be year model differences. Mines an 03'. Engines not in this truck just yet but that's how close to the core support mine sits.

Last edited:

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks guys! I think maybe I'll order an aluminum radiator and wire in a new fan and see what happens.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Now that I see your running explorer FEAD I'd say you could probably get by using the 5.0 radiator no modifications. I'm not 100% on that but I've had a 4.0 and 5.0 explorer radiator in mine and my clutch fan left a ring cutout in the 4.0 because it actually sat closer to the engine than the 5.0. If you're already running the 5.0 radiator then the eBay one may be the way to go. But If not I paid $120 brand new I believe for my 5.0 radiator. The only other problem may be year model differences. Mines an 03'. Engines not in this truck just yet but that's how close to the core support mine sits.
The year differences are huge, yours is much more like an Explorer than a 83-88.

Radiator would hang out of the bottom if the frame at least 3" if truck is stock otherwise with the radiator sitting in the stock position. (lower if tucked under support obviously) Mounting is completely different too.

Hagen, I assume no bodylfit? With my huge C5 bellhousing and a bodylift I have mine clear back and have room for a low pro flexfan on the engine without moving the radiator at all.

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The year differences are huge, yours is much more like an Explorer than a 83-88.

Radiator would hang out of the bottom if the frame at least 3" if truck is stock otherwise with the radiator sitting in the stock position. (lower if tucked under support obviously) Mounting is completely different too.

Hagen, I assume no bodylfit? With my huge C5 bellhousing and a bodylift I have mine clear back and have room for a low pro flexfan on the engine without moving the radiator at all.

You have an Explorer fead right? How much room does the fan take up? How much room for you have between the water pump and radiator?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You have an Explorer fead right? How much room does the fan take up? How much room for you have between the water pump and radiator?
I want to say about an inch between the fan and radiator. There is an adapter involved too to convert it from the big threaded thing for a clutch fan to the flange for the flex fan.

For driving around the flexfan works fine, like I was just sitting at the bank drive thru over lunch and the pusher efan kicked on... so it isn't enough to hack it on its own (but the efan doesn't run constantly like it did before I went to this setup)

Here is some pics of my setup:

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133205

ford_ranger12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
85_ranger4x4...what headers are you running? That driver side looks like it has a good bit of clearance.

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I want to say about an inch between the fan and radiator. There is an adapter involved too to convert it from the big threaded thing for a clutch fan to the flange for the flex fan.

For driving around the flexfan works fine, like I was just sitting at the bank drive thru over lunch and the pusher efan kicked on... so it isn't enough to hack it on its own (but the efan doesn't run constantly like it did before I went to this setup)

Here is some pics of my setup:

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133205
Thanks for the link. I forgot about that.

So what do you think I should do? Try for a mechanical low profile fan like yours or just get a different radiator and better cooling fan?

I think I'm going to try the same fan you have and see if that helps. If its 80 degree weather and idling my truck is fine. If Im In 4wd going 10mph I start to overheat.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
85_ranger4x4...what headers are you running? That driver side looks like it has a good bit of clearance.

88400 Hedmans. PS about requires a bodylift, there is more pics of them in the header sticky in the engine swap forum. They are for a 60's Falcon/Comet... so the dipstick is a little tight to get woven in there (fancy braided Lokar one didn't work, it was too thick)

Thanks for the link. I forgot about that.

So what do you think I should do? Try for a mechanical low profile fan like yours or just get a different radiator and better cooling fan?

I think I'm going to try the same fan you have and see if that helps. If its 80 degree weather and idling my truck is fine. If Im In 4wd going 10mph I start to overheat.
Between my two fans I haven't gotten over like 210* yet. I think it is a flex-a-lite 118 or something like that for my pusher. The engine driven fan is a low profile so it doesn't move as much air as a regular one.

There are times I have felt like it is just enough to keep it cool though... and I don't do a lot of low speed crawling. If it doesn't work you just made the bigger radiator that much more expensive.

I don't know, color mine "adequate" :dntknw:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals