• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2001, carb, subsystems?

ummduh

V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000?
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/5
I'm in the disassembly process of a 2001 Ranger 3.0, 2wd.

A carb'd 351w will be going in its place. (yes, carb. No, no emissions. Yes, I understand.) 4R70w via standalone controller, haven't decided on which one yet.

I'm just trying to sort out the subsystems on the truck. It appears that most everything is separate, and should continue to work without much more than power and ground?

As in, the GEM and ABS seem to be independent of the PCM. I noticed the cruise has a feed to the PCM, but I don't know the nature of that.

I have read that on the 4wABS (which I have), the rear axle sensor feeds the ABS controller and that in turn feeds the speedo. So assuming the ABS would continue to work, the speedo should as well? Otherwise I'd have to swap to the RWABS, and feed the GEM with the axle sensor.

As far as that is concerned, without the PCM, I'd have no way to reprogram for axle ratios or tire size? Will the scanners connect with the other subsystems without the PCM present? According to my manual, they're on a different network than the PCM.

Is there a method of programming modules without the PCM if not? I also read that the 7.5 and the 8.8" axle have different tone ring counts, how do I handle that? Obviously the 7.5" isn't gunna be up to the task.

If it works pretty painlessly, obviously that's the route I'd like to take. Otherwise I'll be removing the entire electrical system/harness and hot rod harnessing the truck.

Also quickly, a lot of info specifically states 1998-2000 Ranger. Are 2000 and 2001 significantly different?

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
So you are willing to have an electronically controlled automatic transmission, one of the least reliable things ever concocted, but not EFI, one of the best things ever done to engine management?

Also, for 351 you need a 4R100, not a 4R70.

Getting modules to program without a PCM is possible, but you need to know the numbers off the computer so that the session can be started manually. Cruise will not work without the PCM because the cruise module needs a lot of signals that are processed through the PCM, like throttle position and engine RPM.

Last edited:

ummduh

V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000?
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/5
So you are willing to have an electronically controlled automatic transmission, one of the least reliable things ever concocted, but not EFI, one of the best things ever done to engine management?

Also, for 351 you need a 4R100, not a 4R70.

Getting modules to program without a PCM is possible, but you need to know the numbers off the computer so that the session can be started manually. Cruise will not work without the PCM because the cruise module needs a lot of signals that are processed through the PCM, like throttle position and engine RPM.

Not to be a d*ck, but carb vs. efi isn't being debated. For the purposes of this truck, a carb is more than sufficient. It also allows me more freedom at a lower cost of entry. This truck is my toy. Not going to be a DD. It will eventually morph into a track vehicle.
You'd also be incorrect about your other 2 points. A 4r100 is a c6/e4od variant. Massive transmission, massive frictional losses, massive overkill. 4R70W/4R75W is an AOD variant. I'd go AOD but the costs involved to make it live at higher power, I may as well start out with the already stronger 4R70W even with controller costs. I also gain the ability to easily control its actions and lockup, not to mention better gear ratios. It'll also be a testbed for my other truck that DOES have an E4OD in it.

As far as manual programming of the modules, is this a situation I can just walk in with my modules and tell them what I need done? Or would they need to be connected to the truck? I know most PCMs are programmable on the bench.

Like I started off with, not trying to be a d*ck, and truly thanks for any help.

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The 4WABS can be, needs to be, programmed for tire size, axle ratio doesn't matter if using rear Ring gear tone wheel/sensor.

AOD was the last OverDrive "manual/automatic" for V8s, no computer needed
AODE needed computer
Read here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_AOD_transmission

RPMs came from the computer so tach will need to be dealt with

Oil pressure gauge was ON/OFF setup and could still be used with pressure switch

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15

As far as manual programming of the modules, is this a situation I can just walk in with my modules and tell them what I need done? Or would they need to be connected to the truck? I know most PCMs are programmable on the bench.
It will depend on the equipment available. The scenario I laid out assumes in-vehicle programming, which is what happens at dealerships and most service shops.

Some places, mostly performance tuning type places, have the ability to do out of vehicle, or bench programming, but will probably still need some info about the original PCM.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
For $85 you can get a Dakota Digital SGI-5E: http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=126/category_id=311/mode=prod/prd126.htm

Splice into the Rear ABS sensor wires and send correct 8,000 PPM to the speedo, cruise, and trans computer.
And it is adjustable for tire changes

Earlier model 4R70W might have speedo drive gear on tail shaft, in that case you could just use the speedocable/VSS setup, which will be 8,000 PPM, calibrated by the Driven Gear you use
4R75W won't have that, but would have OSS on tail shaft, same AC signal as VSS so above SGI-5E could be used on this to calibrate to the 8,000 PPM, PCM would normally have calibrated OSS for speedo use

Rangers(4R44E/55E) lost the Tail shaft Drive Gear setup in 1997, not sure about the 4R70W

Last edited:

ummduh

V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000?
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/5
For $85 you can get a Dakota Digital SGI-5E: http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=126/category_id=311/mode=prod/prd126.htm

Splice into the Rear ABS sensor wires and send correct 8,000 PPM to the speedo, cruise, and trans computer.
And it is adjustable for tire changes

Earlier model 4R70W might have speedo drive gear on tail shaft, in that case you could just use the speedocable/VSS setup, which will be 8,000 PPM, calibrated by the Driven Gear you use
4R75W won't have that, but would have OSS on tail shaft, same AC signal as VSS so above SGI-5E could be used on this to calibrate to the 8,000 PPM, PCM would normally have calibrated OSS for speedo use

Rangers(4R44E/55E) lost the Tail shaft Drive Gear setup in 1997, not sure about the 4R70W
Supposedly the 4r70 should still have the speedo gear until '01, at least in the Mustang version I'll be using. I can wire right around the abs module and go right to the speedo? I wouldn't mind ditching the abs anyways.

Edit: sorry for the basic questions, I'm at work. I'll look into it better tonight.

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
RABS or 4WABS used separate wiring/sensors IF(big if) the transmission, or transfer case, had its own VSS, or OSS.
VSS used the old drive and driven gear setup, user could self calibrate by changing driven gear, this type had 8,000PPM output, so connected directly to speedo, cruise and computer.

OSS used a tone wheel on output shaft, no gears, computer calibrated to 8,000PPM and then sent out corrected signal to speedo and cruise.

GEM on some years did the calibration using rear axle VSS, ABS sensor, but GEM also received already calibrated speed signal if it had power door locks, doors would lock when speed reached 5MPH, a safety feature

ummduh

V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000?
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/5
I've stepped back from the 351W/carb swap for the time being and am putting a regular Explorer 5.0 in it. I've just flat out spent too much money that couple months and don't have the dough to put together the 351W the way I want to in the time frame I want, but I do intend on building it as time and money allows and swapping in at a later date.. I picked up a '00 Explorer for the time being to swap.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals