• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A4LD O.D. No forward but Reverse works?

Oldwrench

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hi all! I have a 1995 Ranger Reg Cab, 2wd 3.0 V6 with the A4LD with Overdrive. Approx 155k miles on it. Nice truck in great shape!

Today when I was taking off from a stop light, it made a rattle noise that sounded like an empty spray can being shaken...or kinda like a U joint going bad.
Then it acted like its in neutral.
Reverse does work well enough that I backed it up onto the pad outside my garage after the tow truck dropped it off.

As an ex Master Tech I am thinking the trans is toast and will also need the T.C. replaced.
I have done NO troubleshooting, its dark and starting to rain.
I did grab the driveshaft and jerk around on it and its tight.

Comments? I'm thinking this has been discussed before, but I searched the threads and didnt see it.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Bruce

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
DID you try manual low? Sounds like the OD sprag went south or even OD planets..when you put it in manual low the coast clutch (also known as the over running clutches turn on take the place of the sprag) sounds like its time to pull it out and do rebuild.

Oldwrench

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Yes I tried all the forward gears. There is no forward in any gear.

I was thinking something internal like a planetary set or sprag clutch. Thanks for confirming my suspicion.

I guess I'll know for sure as soon as I get the pan off!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals