• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

T-5 parts ending badly

Knightrider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I was (---) this close to having my T-5 parts completed!

i've been searching for a good/good priced T-5 since i've had my truck the AOD just isnt cutting it. I ended up in the salvege yard over the weekend and found an LX coupe with the transmission still in place! I ripped everything apart got to dropping the transmission and as I separate the bellhousing form the block...... about a gallon or so of rust water exit the tail shaft of the transmission.......:sad:

the input shaft had massive play and i'm just not patient enough to save up for a rebuild

the weekend projects list just grew a little bit I currently have/found
8.8 rear/end with disc brakes for my truck needs to wait for next paycheck/after bills
and a 4.0 Radiator as my V6 one isnt holding up
I picked up a 130amp alternator from a 2000+Mustang V6 :)
fixed my loose steering shaft
I maybe getting some nice leather buckets from an RX7 Turbo II from a friend
on the list is the 3" drop I-beams and flip kit
some more stuff but just too tired to list

I ended up grabbing the bellhousing, fork and flywheel along with the bolts,and I have the pedals for teh 5 speed swap off a ranger, before i headed home in defeat. so the search fora T-5 continues!

Last edited:

Iron Ranger

Run lil' ricer RUN!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
0.040 punched 302
Transmission
Manual
Just make darn sure that you grab the right T-5.

I bought mine off ebay used(First mistake), found out 75% of the internals were shot and decided to rebuild it(Second mistake), over all, I spent almost a grand to rebuild the thing, when I could have got a brand new world class for a few hundred more.

jonsranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yea i hear that, i got a t-5 from a 4cyc mustang, for free though, but the input shaft is just over a half an inch to short, and to fix it you have to change out about half the internals, so yea, make sure you get the correct tag numbers, and match them up to v8 numbers. o and if you find more than 1 t5 in decent shape for a decent price, let me know, i need one.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

I bought mine off ebay used(First mistake), found out 75% of the internals were shot and decided to rebuild it(Second mistake), over all, I spent almost a grand to rebuild the thing, when I could have got a brand new world class for a few hundred more.
Please don't confuse a World Class trans always meaning the strongest trans out there. All T-5's going behind a V-8 have been WC since 1985 but the early ones were only rated at 265 lbs of torque. Iron Ranger is right in saying just spend the extra bucks and go the the "Z" spec trans. that is rated at 310-330 lbs torque. When I was looking the price difference between a common rebuilt and the "Z" was only $300. Heard of too many people having problems with a JY trans. Check that bellhousing out for cracks, thats a common problem also.
Dave
Good reading-
http://www.moderndriveline.com/Technical_Bits/t5_history.htm

Iron Ranger

Run lil' ricer RUN!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
0.040 punched 302
Transmission
Manual
Please don't confuse a World Class trans always meaning the strongest trans out there. All T-5's going behind a V-8 have been WC since 1985 but the early ones were only rated at 265 lbs of torque. Iron Ranger is right in saying just spend the extra bucks and go the the "Z" spec trans. that is rated at 310-330 lbs torque. When I was looking the price difference between a common rebuilt and the "Z" was only $300. Heard of too many people having problems with a JY trans. Check that bellhousing out for cracks, thats a common problem also.
Dave
Good reading-
http://www.moderndriveline.com/Technical_Bits/t5_history.htm
Oh, no don't get me wrong, but a world class has a better gear ratio and the shafts are on bearings instead of bronze bushings, leading to longer life.

Not necessarily stronger, but more reliable. The only downside was 3rd gear crapping out, I think.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Oh, no don't get me wrong, but a world class has a better gear ratio and the shafts are on bearings instead of bronze bushings, leading to longer life.

Not necessarily stronger, but more reliable. The only downside was 3rd gear crapping out, I think.
You are absolutly correct, better materials, bearings, gear ratios. There still is that conseption about the world class. Just got off a Mustang site trying to expain to some guy why he shouldn't use a T-5 from a Mustang behind his cammed up 351. His answer was basically "Well, it came out of a '90'GT Mustang, why wouldn't it hold up?" You see why some of us "Old Farts" want to tear our hair out sometimes? Having a cold one right now and it's helping!
How's the weather over there doing tonight? Ready for Spring?

Keep up the good work keeping some of us honest and good luck with the project.
Dave

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Our's? Have a cold case of Fat Tire sitting in the back of the truck right now! One of you guys down in Indiana is into engineering work, that you?
Dave - got to just enjoy life, it's all to short and terminal.

v-8power

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Nope, I work for dana corp but not an engineer. Thats true about life though.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals