• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

93 Body on 89 Frame

AnahRabekka1501

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
So I’m looking at body kits for my 89 and there aren’t any for the SuperCab. So, aside from McNeil Racing’s body conversion kits, how can I put ‘93 body parts on my ‘89 frame and cab? A little fab is okay, I have standard shop tools, welder, grinder, etc.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Are you wanting to keep the '89 cab? Or put a '93 cab on your frame?

If you want to keep the '89 cab but use '93 doors, fenders, hood, etc, it won't work well as the body lines and cab itself are totally different.

If you want to put a '93 cab on your frame then that shouldn't be too difficult. I can't say for sure, but I imagine the body mounts are in similar if not the same locations.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I didn't think 1st gen(1983 to 1992) and 2nd gen(1993-1997) frames and body parts were compatible.
1st gen is slightly smaller than 2nd and 3rd gen, 2nd and 3rd generation are the same size

The 1st gen bed will will be narrower than 2nd gen cab, only an inch on each side, same for front fenders as well.

1983-1992 body is 66.9" wide
1993-1997 is 69.4" wide(1998-2012 is 70.4" wide)
So a 2.5" width difference

As seen here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Ranger_(Americas)

Last edited:

saskbill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
The bed inner stamping stayed the same for a lot of years - def through 83-93 (within shortbox/longbox/flareside groupings) - they just flared the outer bedsides out, like was said above, an inch or so. The rear axle was widened a little in '93 and later to match.

Kinda inclined to believe the cab floor was similar - in the '93s and later a crosswise sheetmetal 'hump' was spotwelded in the the seats and console (if present) were bolted to. Again, pretty sure the cab, doors and fenders were puffed out a bit (approx 1" either side) and the fender backs/front of the doors were made curvy where they met (putting a later front clip on an earlier truck or mixmatching doors between a gen1/gen2 and a gen3 gonna make for problems)

Stole a 93 cab hump and welded into my 91 to mound some later buckets. Mounted a later box (94 I think) on the 91 - looks a little weird with the body lines but the wheel arch tops aren't rotted out and I like the later endgates that actually have a removeable plate so you and service/replace the tailgate latch! Someday down the line a two-tone pain job might make it look less hacked together...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals