• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Lurker finally raises his hand for P0171

icetherice

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have cleaned the MAF twice...I think it's skewed due to its age, and will probably be putting a new MAF sensor in today. It was heavily contaminated when I first cleaned it and I used a qtip in addition to the cleaner so I may have damaged it :dunno:

I have not checked the TPS sweep for glitches but I will try that before I purchase the MAF.

Hmmm...exhaust exiting a catalytic converter should primarily be co2 and h2o...so where is all that oxygen coming from...

I went around the exhaust with muffler putty and sealed the leaks that I found with a smoke tester I built the other day..didn't seem to change anything.

(I know, I wish they would stay in columns like they do when I paste the data in because it's easily readable then...I think the forum backend deletes additional white space)

Last edited:

icetherice

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Checked TPS: good sweep from .9v - 4.5v

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, O2 sensor 2's should run steady at .7 to .8volts which is low oxygen levels, "Rich" on an O2 sensor 1

Not sure why you are getting 0.0xx on sensor 2, then it switches to 0.xx
Maybe a glitch in the reader?

Original O2s read(generate) .1 to .9 volts, .1 being lean(high oxygen levels) and .9 being rich(low oxygen levels)

Newer Wide band O2s read 0 to 5volts

icetherice

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I replaced the MAF sensor and the fuel trims began returning to normal. There was also much less rev-hang during open loop. I expect the P0171 code to disappear on my drive to work tomorrow.

My o2-2 sensor still registers intermittently. Most of the time it's flatlined at like 5mV. I will evaluate whether or not to replace it after P0171 clears..because I can only imagine that a trace that low will set a code such as P0140.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals