• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

5.0 swap into 99 2wd manual

Friendlychevyguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ok guys I know pretty much next to nothing about ford other then I dont drive them. That being said my dad has had his 99 ranger for about the last 15 years and he has rebuilt the motor once and is looking at doing it again. I have a buddy who swapped a 5.0 in his ranger so I suggested to my dad he do an little upgrade as well. He is on board and likes the idea but with knowing little to nothing about these trucks figured I should be asking questions first so we can gather a complete part list and generate a how to list before diving in. I have read that the explorer drive train can be an almost plug and play swap but for what he is looking to do I dont think that is so much the case. Seems the plug and play is to do the auto trans and transfer case but he wants to stay with his manual 5 speed and 2wd. Please guys chim in here and let us know what we can do. I am assuming the ecm would need tuning to pull out auto trans codes and the harness would need trimmed down. Who is a quality tuner for this and any how to on trimming the harness would be good.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Pick up a 2wd Explorer donor from '99 or '00. That will be as close of a match as possible to your current fuel and PATS configuration. If you have a torsion bar 2wd Ranger than you can use your current passenger side motor mount, but you'll need to swap the Explorer driver side mount. If you're coil sprung up front, look on eBay for a set of 2wd motor mounts for the swap.

To keep your manual transmission, find a 2wd trans from a '97-03 4.2 V6 F-150- it will bolt to the 5.0 and put the shifter location right where you need it in the Ranger.

There are details I'm not sure of like the right flywheel/pressure plate/clutch combo to use, but the donor and trans will be enough to get you moving in the right direction while you research the small changes. An SCT tuner plus the right tuning shop will sort out the auto trans codes. The Explorer's driveshaft will probably be too short, but you ought to be able to take that shaft plus your current Ranger driveshaft to a local shop and get them to mix and match to cut one to fit for your purposes.

Last edited:

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
Just fyi Fast you stated 97-03 4.2 manual trans out of a ranger. I know you meant to say an 97-03 4.2 manual trans out of an f150. I got your back. :D

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Good catch - F150 for sure!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals