• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1984 ranger 2.0 timing belt

duck94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
So i just got a bronco 2, somewhere along the line someone swapped in a ranger 2.0 motor in. It ran pretty good for about the first week i had it and then i was beating on it having some fun and it started running terribly. It back fires through the intake. The first thing i suspected was it jumped time. I popped the cover off and sure rnough the belt is worn pretty bad and ancient looking. Im almost positive it jumped time. The problem im having is i cant find where im supposed to line up the pulleys. It is different than my 97 2.3. Ive spent probably about 5 hours googling and searching through forums but i cant seem to find anything on it. Have any of you guys done timing belts on your 2.0s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Have a read here: https://therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84414

TDC is TDC for #1, the cam gear and distributor(AUX Gear) positions is what decides compression stroke or exhaust stroke

Cam Gear should have a mark, if not I think cam key was pointed at 12:00, for AUX gear just turn so Rotor is pointed at #1 on the cap, you will have to time the spark after replacing timing belt, but it gets you close enough

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
If you cannot fine the pointer for the cam sprocket triangle to match up to, it may be someone has removed it. It should be near the belt cover bolt at about the 4 o'clock position.
Most times the belt will fail such that the engine will no longer run. It would surprise me that it slipped without taking out some teeth. Very rare to have that happen.
Check the timing before removing/replacing. Set the crank to TDC on the belt cover, or set the crankshaft keyway to 12:00. Point the cam triangle to about 4 o'clock. You may want to remove the cam cover to see the lobes are in the proper position. I am not as sure about the 12 o'clock keyway on the cam as I am about the crank position.
tom

duck94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The cam locator is probably around the 4 or 5 oclock area. It is a little plastic 3 prong deal. The crank and the dizzy pulley dont have the locators. I tried doing it manually but ill try it again with some more knowledge ive acquired lol. At this point im a little worried i have a bent valve or something. Ig if i do thatll be a good reason for me to pull the head and shave and do some port work.

kishy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger, RCLB
Engine Size
95 2.3 EFI Swap
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Maybe this will help, since I was just looking at my 85 2.0 yesterday. It's more like 5:30 on a clock face.

I had found that from the centerline of the timing mark on the gear, to the metal post that the timing belt tensioner spring pushes on, was just shy of 1.5" when the pointer is aligned correctly. That is a very inexact way of doing it, but it hopefully gives you a reference point where you can be within a tooth or two, and get it running.

Another way to do it is to point the cam timing mark at the centerline of the cam and aux shaft bolt heads (so like...a straight line between them, and point the timing mark at that line). That should get you to the right place.

Not 100% sure but I think the aux shaft needs to point back on the same centerline towards the cam...but I'd suggest verifying that makes sense before running with it. It's been a while since I timed the 2.0 (2015). As mentioned above it really doesn't matter if you can re-stab the dizzy to match whatever, but access to the distributor hold-down sucks on these, so my preference would be to align it with the cam gear, silly as that sounds.

Last edited:

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Just to put it out there, these things are non interference so you can crank to your hearts content with the cam in any orientation spinning or not and it won't make a lick of difference unless it has fancy pistons...

duck94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well this explains why i was still having trouble manually aligning the pulleys lol

Ig its just time to pull the head do some portwork and put it together new again lol.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals