• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

The all-new 2019 Ford Ranger can carry serious gear

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
To each his own.
It locks both rear tires together. No mercy, both rear tires get power evenly.

The FX4's have a thing like the Subaru that uses the brakes to get power to where it is needed.
Fx4 4x4 or traction control is no different than any other. Fx4 is a package nowadays, not a trim. It is also a ripoff. Buying the components you actually need separately is a much better deal and who needs or wants to pay for that hideous sticker.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
To each his own.
Trim usually doesn’t dictate towing capacity.
Of course trim can dictate towing capacity. The more options and accessories you add, the less payload you have and the less towing capacity you have. Best payload capacity is XL single cab longbed 2 wheel drive, as base as you can get it.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
To each his own.
At a certain level, trim does dictate towing capacity:

The 13,200lb max towing for the F-150 requires the lightest possible truck - regular cab/long box, but that combination is only available in a XLT or lower trim. It can't be the heavy duty payload package, as the heavier frame/axle/springs of the HDPP adds too much weight, but rather a very specific option combination (Manual windows, mirrors, center mini console w/column shifter, etc - to get weight out of truck. Note: It is 3.55 gears, not the lower 3.73s for the max tow package.

SuperCabs lose 100lbs/SuperCrew 200lbs in F-150s; 4WD costs an additional 200lbs.

You missed tires in the towing equation - the 22" tires of the F-150 Limited kill towing capacity.

Now, much of the above doesn't apply to Rangers, as they all have same engine/transmission, brakes, tires, etc. But, as originally noted by 2002edgeplussupercab, the max towing with probably be a 2wd, SuperCab XL - the lightest Ranger. A SuperCrew 4WD Lariat will probably be rated <7klbs.

My FX4 F-150 has the electrical locker in differential, not a brakes thing.

The <5mph limit really wasn't issue on the steep/slimy boat ramp
This is wrong. Best Heavy Duty Payload Package is the F150 XL Regular Cab Longbed 2 wheel drive with as base as you can get it and the 3.5 ecoboost Max Tow package.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
That's what I'm hoping for :headbang: With the issues they've had with the Focus RS, the 3.5 EB just makes sense....trying to push a little 4-banger to it's "max" is just asking for trouble....the block design didn't help either.
I might have my information wrong but I believe the Focus issues were with the 2.0 EB and not the 2.3 EB. I've searched the 2.3 to death and haven't been able to find any recurring issues with them in the Focus, Mustang, or Explorer. Relatively speaking, it is still a new engine, so it is possible that the clock is ticking on something but it seems like they have this particular engine worked out.

That being said, a V-6 version would be nice and probably less stress on the engine. Actually, a naturally aspirated V-6 would be just fine with me. Toyota generates about the same power without boosting the engine. I think the Nissan is a little less but still better than the 4.0 SOHC in my 2011 Ranger.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
This is wrong. Best Heavy Duty Payload Package is the F150 XL Regular Cab Longbed 2 wheel drive with as base as you can get it and the 3.5 ecoboost Max Tow package.
Research your facts before calling me wrong. :annoyed:

HDPP is the option set which get the F-150 the maximum payload - almost 3,300lbs; it starts with thicker frame rail, adds 9.75" differential & heavy springs. It is NOT to be confused with the Max Tow Package. The payload on the Max Tow is almost 1,000 lbs less than the Max payload truck. In both cases, it will be a 4x2 XL single cab, long box truck.

Under j2807, the truck is required to be loaded to max rear GAWR and GVWR. Trucks with lower GVWR and same GCWR tow more. We train our engineers to be good at getting the best results they can on tests.

Big sore spot with F-150 owners: there is too little payload in the Max Tow package to actually tow big trailers in anything other than the SAE test (Drivers & passengers average more than 150lbs, options on truck, tongue weight of >10% trailer all reduce limit). HDPP packages trailer towing rating is ~1,000lb lower due to the higher GVWR, but it can actually hit its towing limit.

sgtsandman said:
I might have my information wrong.
I believe you were actually correct. The EB 2.3 for the Focus RS and the Mustang were being built on the same line. But the transverse engine used a different head gasket than the longitudinal one. Incorrectly installation resulted in a few meltdowns.

Ford identified the issue and recalled the suspect engines and fixed the problem. Which is why you don't see it as a recurring issue.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Fx4 4x4 or traction control is no different than any other. Fx4 is a package nowadays, not a trim. It is also a ripoff. Buying the components you actually need separately is a much better deal and who needs or wants to pay for that hideous sticker.
It isn’t normal craptacular traction control. But you don’t have to take my word for it...

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2018/09/10/trail-control-brings-off-road-cruise-control-to-2019-f-150-rapto.html

Of course trim can dictate towing capacity. The more options and accessories you add, the less payload you have and the less towing capacity you have. Best payload capacity is XL single cab longbed 2 wheel drive, as base as you can get it.
My point was you don’t have to get a lariat to get the tow package.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
To each his own.
Research your facts before calling me wrong. :annoyed:

HDPP is the option set which get the F-150 the maximum payload - almost 3,300lbs; it starts with thicker frame rail, adds 9.75" differential & heavy springs. It is NOT to be confused with the Max Tow Package. The payload on the Max Tow is almost 1,000 lbs less than the Max payload truck. In both cases, it will be a 4x2 XL single cab, long box truck.

Under j2807, the truck is required to be loaded to max rear GAWR and GVWR. Trucks with lower GVWR and same GCWR tow more. We train our engineers to be good at getting the best results they can on tests.

Big sore spot with F-150 owners: there is too little payload in the Max Tow package to actually tow big trailers in anything other than the SAE test (Drivers & passengers average more than 150lbs, options on truck, tongue weight of >10% trailer all reduce limit). HDPP packages trailer towing rating is ~1,000lb lower due to the higher GVWR, but it can actually hit its towing limit.

I know exactly what I am talking about and I know the difference in the 2 packages and you said the same thing I said, only worded differently.
The best payload and max tow at the same time is with the XL regular cab longbed 2wd with as few options/accessories as possible and the 3.5 ecoboost.
You can only tow 13000 pounds if your payload can handle the tongue weight !
That is fact regardless of if it annoys you !

Big'Un

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ram
Engine Size
5.7 Hemi
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
$hit Happens
I might have my information wrong but I believe the Focus issues were with the 2.0 EB and not the 2.3 EB. I've searched the 2.3 to death and haven't been able to find any recurring issues with them in the Focus, Mustang, or Explorer.
It is the 2.3 EB. If you search youtube for "Focus RS engine failure", there are literally dozens and those are only the ones that made vids and uploaded them.... If you go to 5:15 in the video, he explains the head gasket issue and why it failed and why the block design is flawed. Until they redesign the block, so the cylinders aren't floating, I won't buy one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nan3LURIq3k

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
To each his own.
It isn’t normal craptacular traction control. But you don’t have to take my word for it...

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2018/09/10/trail-control-brings-off-road-cruise-control-to-2019-f-150-rapto.html

My point was you don’t have to get a lariat to get the tow package.
Well DUH. Everyone knows the Raptor is different. All the other F150's have the same traction control of the same year model F150. Lariat and above 4x4 have 4Auto, but that isn't traction control.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
To each his own.
It is the 2.3 EB. If you search youtube for "Focus RS engine failure", there are literally dozens and those are only the ones that made vids and uploaded them.... If you go to 5:15 in the video, he explains the head gasket issue and why it failed and why the block design is flawed. Until they redesign the block, so the cylinders aren't floating, I won't buy one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nan3LURIq3k
So, IOW, you just take some youtubers word ?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well DUH. Everyone knows the Raptor is different. All the other F150's have the same traction control of the same year model F150. Lariat and above 4x4 have 4Auto, but that isn't traction control.
If you read the article you would know the FX4 Ranger is getting the same system that the Raptor has. :icon_thumby:

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
So when the Ranger is involved, You get the same "Rear end/Motor/Tranny" combo across the line, and the more you add to it , the less it will tow
: and a LOCKER turns your one wheeled wonder into a positrac.

Did I get that right because I got lost in all the GVWR's and f150 talk. Please remember I am not smart as all of ya'll when it comes to which head gasket is on the FOCUS vs the Explorer or whatever?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Positrac is a limited slip not a locker.

The fancier you make you truck the more parasitic weight it has which eats into its towing capacity. One reason for went to aluminum bodies on their full-sizes. One truck that weighs a thousand pounds more than another can pull a thousand pounds less.

Due to restricted options it won’t be as big of a deal on a ranger as a F-150.

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Positrac is a limited slip not a locker.

The fancier you make you truck the more parasitic weight it has which eats into its towing capacity. One reason for went to aluminum bodies on their full-sizes. One truck that weighs a thousand pounds more than another can pull a thousand pounds less.

Due to restricted options it won’t be as big of a deal on a ranger as a F-150.
I thought a positrac rear end turned both wheels in the same direction at the same time. and limited slip turned the wheel with more traction.

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
OK so a quick search on the web taught me a little. I now know the difference in a positrac( or spooled, I have seen the spider gears welded together for the same effect, I think ) and limited slip and a locker. Just like the old 4x4s where you had to get out and LOCK the hubs manually for the front wheels to turn under 4wd. So now the 2wd rear end can LOCK like that? but from what I understand it is now electronic and computerized. how could the rearend locker be manually locked, hydraulic or cable actuated?
And why would you want a non-locking ( open ) rear end in a truck? so it looks like a motorcycle did a burnout when it was really a Ranger. lol

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals