• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

84 Bronco II 2.8 to 302 swap...

Nightbreed

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I currently have a 84 Bronco II with the 2.8 and a 5 speed out of an 85 Ranger...it started life as an auto but when the auto died I converted her over with help from a few friends :)
I'm wanting to do a v8 conversion as cheaply as possible and prefer a 5speed...but cost decides everything :)
What would be the best donor vehicles and parts from them to use for this project? I live in East TN so junkyards are full of options here.
I've recently joined and know there are other threads but none seem specific to my particular conversion...and I'm hoping to upgrade other parts (suspension, axles, brakes, etc) using my chosen donor(s) if possible :)
If ya need specifics just ask...

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
I'm about to put a V8 in my '84 BII. However, mine had a C5 and I'm keeping that. See my thread "1000 words".

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
For the engine the newer the better, trans & t case from a F-150, axles from an Explorer.

Duraspark would be the cheapest/easiest for ignition if you go carbed. If your 2.8 is going to be on the road for awhile and you have an extra $100 to blow on dizzy parts duraspark it. It will help it and when you drop the new engine in it, it is plug and play.

fangotango306

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
None yet
Transmission
Automatic
hei ford distributor is $50 on ebay.....hook up one wire and go, no box nothing.

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Doesn't cost $100 to run a Duraspark unless you are counting the carburetor which needs to be changed as well. I picked up a new Duraspark distributor for $40 and used a HEI module which is about $18 or so. By the way, when my 2.8 comes out, I have some relatively new ( 2K miles ) parts available if anyone needs something. My damn 2.8 only has 58K on it . . but took a dump. New timing gears ( metal ) Duraspark distributor, heads have new seals etc.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Doesn't cost $100 to run a Duraspark unless you are counting the carburetor which needs to be changed as well. I picked up a new Duraspark distributor for $40 and used a HEI module which is about $18 or so. By the way, when my 2.8 comes out, I have some relatively new ( 2K miles ) parts available if anyone needs something. My damn 2.8 only has 58K on it . . but took a dump. New timing gears ( metal ) Duraspark distributor, heads have new seals etc.
Dizzy might be about $50, but the collar, cap and rotor are not free. I reused the original coil and JY box and pigtail... so that was about it for the ignition part of the swap.

rednine4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
if you look at my build.. "in like a lamb out like a lion" you should see my 85 BII and alot of pics of what to do (i plan to post more soon). there are also many posts out there if you search on a particular part you may have a question about.

after doing it i can say the main obstacles I encountered were clearance to the fire wall, and just rounding up all the parts to try to do the swap in one months time between working and other hobbies time was scarce.....

I think all the other issues that a manual trans will create will be fairly simple to solve or of equal difficulty to swapping a v8 and and auto. I have swapped a v8 into a ranger with a t-5 and it was piece of cake.. just have to fab up a slave cylinder... no biggie

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Explain to me why you would need a new cap and rotor?? :) The point being . . you do not. I guess you are a bit ignorant of the first Duraspark ignitions and the fact that they did not have a large cap. That came later. I know you can't see the distributor in this picture, but the stock cap is hidden behind the air cleaner, but the distributor is all Duraspark.

. . and by the way, here is where my HEI module is hidden

Last edited:

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Explain to me why you would need a new cap and rotor?? :) The point being . . you do not. I guess you are a bit ignorant of the first Duraspark ignitions and the fact that they did not have a large cap. That came later. I know you can't see the distributor in this picture, but the stock cap is hidden behind the air cleaner, but the distributor is all Duraspark.

. . and by the way, here is where my HEI module is hidden

Yea the reason it is recommended to use the adaptor cap and rotor is because you get less or no cross firing in the distributor cap giving you a crisper spark at the plugs. With the adaptor and the larger cap it is still all duraspark just better you should still have room behind the air filter for the larger cap. Just a option you have there.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Yea the reason it is recommended to use the adaptor cap and rotor is because you get less or no cross firing in the distributor cap giving you a crisper spark at the plugs. With the adaptor and the larger cap it is still all duraspark just better you should still have room behind the air filter for the larger cap. Just a option you have there.
Plus I noticed you have the short spacer between the 2150 carb and the egr spacer. I found the felpro carb spacer # 60529 is the same thickness as the stock spacer that came on the engine and will plug the vacuum leak that will develop over time where the throttle position sensor used to be. It comes with gaskets on the spacer but they are pretty hard you will probably need a regular carb gasket added between the new spacer and the carb and snug the carb down slow and even and gives the throttle cable a better angle also. Just something to keep in mind I can tell by how long the threads are on the carb studs. Been there done that with the phenolic spacer it worked ok for a while then developed a vacuum leak and I got lucky at the part store the guy brought out a spacer for a 302 # 60529 for $18 that still works great.

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Well of course I know the textbook answer ( I was an automotive teacher for many years, I know about textbook answrs :) for the larger distributor cap. Thats not my point, the point is Ford used it this way for a few years. Its really not a big problem until the voltage jumped higher. That is what I was addressing, it isn't needed. As for the spacer, I probably have a SB spacer on there since that is what the carb is from. Remember, this is my engine I'm pulling in a couple weeks because of an internal issue.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Because they are a common wear item... and while I am there upgrading my ignition the large cap is a superior setup.

You would change distributors and stick the old cruddy cap back on? I did my DS swap to make it run better, not to change parts at random for the heck of it.

The cap and rotor is probably about the same price between the two designs, the only extra $$ is the adaptor and they are like $10... bit whoop. :c-n:

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Well of course I know the textbook answer ( I was an automotive teacher for many years, I know about textbook answrs :) for the larger distributor cap. Thats not my point, the point is Ford used it this way for a few years. Its really not a big problem until the voltage jumped higher. That is what I was addressing, it isn't needed. As for the spacer, I probably have a SB spacer on there since that is what the carb is from. Remember, this is my engine I'm pulling in a couple weeks because of an internal issue.
TFI coil or coil that runs on battery voltage equals higher voltage oh but of course you knew that. You would think being a teacher the rebuild would have lasted a little bit longer with all your knowledge wrapped into it. :icon_rofl:

fordpwr89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
i put a 5.0 HO in my ranger and it was farily simple. there were a few times i was standing there scratching my head but it all worked out. i went with HEI dist easiest way to go. motor mounts from 86 lincoln cont. 5.0 weiand intake holley carb and lots lots more goodies

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
You guys are so smart :) assed that is. Anyway . . the point was that a larger cap wasn't NEEDED, it could be run with the small cap. bvecause most of you are not old enough to have been around when Durasprak first came out, I pointed it out for you. I'm careful to say what is really needed and what could or should be replaced.

the rebuild would have lasted a little bit longer with all your knowledge wrapped into it
this doesn't even make sense . . too funny.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals