• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

96 Ranger 2.3 - Odometer quit...

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
96 Ranger 2.3 - Odometer quit...

I went on a 300 mile round trip yesterday, I filled up the gas tank reset the trip odometer and hit the road, at some point I noticed that the trip odometer was on 63.8 miles and then an hour later looked down again and it was still on 63.8 miles and after another mile noticed that the main odometer had quit working as well.

The speedometer, tach, and all of the other gauges on the dash still worked fine so I know that the cable didn't come out of the transfer case, and there were no odd noises or smells, I made it to the destination and nothing had changed I shut the truck off for about ten minutes and loaded things up and then we left.

Then again somewhere down the road I noticed that both the main and trip odometers were working fine again and were still working when I got back home at the end of the 300 miles.

Any ideas as to why it quit?

Tinkering

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Worm gear

I had the same issue with my '96 Ranger. There is a worm gear that turns the trip meter and odometer. It gets brittle and pieces break off over time. Mine would quit working intermittently as well. I removed the instrument cluster, replaced the gear and it works fine now. There are several YouTube videos out there to guide you. Not too difficult. Good luck!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals