• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Spark Plugs

Rangerdangerrr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I was Wondering about Spark Plugs, people are Saying Motorcraft. Some are Saying Autolite. i have a 97 2.3L, Takes 8 plugs. Double Platnium. Will these Be okay ? AUTOLITE APP104

BPLP

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 banger
Transmission
Manual
Autolite is fine. They're damn spark plugs... unless you're driving a top fuel dragster it really doesn't make much of a difference. I just changed mine and I used Autolite plugs and duralast wires, motorcraft is just to expensive for something that really doesn't make that much of a difference.

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
I can tell you from experience that if oem stock is an option then I would replace them with oem. I have never had a problem with going back with the oem plug on fords or chevys. I had a 3.0 non ff that ran like crap on autolites and bosch. Installed factory motorcraft and never had a problem. The stock ones are not really expensive if your not changing them every 30k. I had a 350 vortec that only liked factory acdelco plugs and wires. Ran duralast wires and it arced through the wires so bad it sounded like it had a cam in it. Just my .002

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Autolite is fine. They're damn spark plugs... unless you're driving a top fuel dragster it really doesn't make much of a difference. I just changed mine and I used Autolite plugs and duralast wires, motorcraft is just to expensive for something that really doesn't make that much of a difference.
I can tell you from experience that if oem stock is an option then I would replace them with oem. I have never had a problem with going back with the oem plug on fords or chevys. I had a 3.0 non ff that ran like crap on autolites and bosch. Installed factory motorcraft and never had a problem. The stock ones are not really expensive if your not changing them every 30k. I had a 350 vortec that only liked factory acdelco plugs and wires. Ran duralast wires and it arced through the wires so bad it sounded like it had a cam in it. Just my .002

Usually Autolites are fine in a Ford, since Autolite used to be Ford's OEM parts division. I will say that I have found I generally get better life out of Motorcrafts. But just yesterday I had to replace an MC plug that only had about 3000 miles on it for a micro-fracture in the porcelain, you could see the burn where it was arcing through the insulator. Also, MC plugs are not that expensive compared to Autolites, or other comparable plugs. It's not like some of the Asian cars where the catalog listed "OE plug" is a $15 NGK iridium, and even the most expensive comparable Bosh plug is only $6 or $7.

The plug wires are generally less picky. I have found that MC wires are over-priced and usually I get the same life/performance out of the good store-brand ones as I do MCs. Although usually my plug wires end up dying a horrible death at my own hand when I try to take them off and the clip stays on the plug.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I totally disagree here... but you do whatever you think is best for your engine.

Auto manufactures spend millions testing to determine proper plugs. Other plug manufactures take that data and give you one of there plugs that may just align "close enough" to work.

I'm a firm believer in what comes out from the factory goes back in. Unless you've changed compression or added forced induction or some other mod that may require a heat range change. You should always make sure that the plug hasn't be superceeded also. Most parts catalogs will reflect this.

In a Ford... no other choice for me but Motorcraft or Autolite.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals