• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Difference between FM145 and FM 146?

Andres629

Article Contributor
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985/91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 screamer
Transmission
Automatic
I've got a parts 1987 Ranger 2.9 with a manual BW1350 and a 5 speed, can't open the driver door but by my research it is an FM145. So, I'm planning on doing a 5 spd swap into my 92 2.9 with the A4LD and BW1354 electronic. Just wondering a couple things here I guess. A) what is the difference between the FM145 and 146, would I be better off to try and find a 146 from the JY, and then just swap over the hydro clutch components from my parts 87? Or is there not enough difference to warrant picking up a 146?
B) Would I be smarter to keep my electronic 1354 for the time being, and then grab a manual 1354 from the JY, or just run the 1350? Sorry for the kind of noobish questions, just weighing my options here.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
well, for starters the FM145 is 2" shorter than the FM146.

that would require relocating your tranny crossmember forward.

every FM145 made is a ticking time bomb.

I've seen several fail with NO warning whatsoever.

I had one crate transmission (NOS, not a reman) grenade itself
in less than 2000 miles.

AD

Andres629

Article Contributor
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985/91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 screamer
Transmission
Automatic
Oh, brutal. Well, thanks for the heads up, Allan.

4bangerranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1999
Make / Model
Ford, Jeep
Engine Size
2.3L Turbo (in process), 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
My 87 Ranger was originally 2.9V6 and FM145/BW1350. I think the 145 is a good tranny. Reason being is that when I bought my Ranger the PO had literally torn the tranny off the bellhousing!
The truck has a lift and it had 32x11.50-15 Mud Kings on it, two of which were bald. He hauled a big water tank in the bed and a wagon behind the truck all the time. He beat this truck daily!
Anyway, I put helicoils in the tranny to re-attach the bell, replaced the Slave cylinder and clutch. Then I got 3 years of daily driving out of it before it locked in 3rd gear. It was well over 200,000 miles too!
All I hear is everyone knocking these trannies, but I disagree.
I swapped in a FM146, which required me to grind frame rivets off and move my crossmember brackets back. Cool thing was that the holes were already there!
FYI The Slave Cylinders are different on the FM145 and 146 as well! Which you will find means you also have to change Master Cylinders and/or lines as well. Shifters are also different!
I still have the V6 FM146 complete with bell and slave cylinder. I am now swapping in a Turbo 4 and to go behind it I got a FM145 WITH external slave cylinder! The 146 shifts really tight BUT 5th is gone, which I ve read is common. The only bitch I have is that you cant "rebuild" the shifters perse. That is you cant buy anything but a complete replacement shifter. BTW, I just bought a brand new shifter at my local Ford Dealer for my FM145. Cost was $114 and consisted of Lever and tower assy but now Knob. Very good price!
Good Luck

BAMAJiPS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ive got a low mileage, great shape 1989 B2 2wd w the fm145 in it. Shifts great!

My a4ld is going out (overdrive slipping) on my 94 ranger 4x4.

Since I cant get a title to my B2, i was thinking about cannibalizing it and putting it behind my 4.0 ohv. Think it would/could hold up at least until I get some funds together to do (or even find) a proper M5OD R1 down the road?

Will the BW 1354 bolt on to it or would I need to find a 1350?
What about flywheel? :-/ I'm ignorant here. Sorry to resurrect a dead link but it seems fairly relevant to what I'm doing.

Bonus:
A- I HATE the a4ld grenade
B- I love banging my own gears
C- This particular FM145 shifts beautifully behind my 2.9

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Your 89 has a 146. 87 was the last year for the 145.

It will hold up for a while, but he 4.0 has the power to do real damage to the input bearings.

BAMAJiPS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you for the response. I've read conflicting reports now saying what you just said and also sayig that the 2wd bronco 2s all had the fm145

I have a 2wd B2 (and yet they ALL use the 4wd trans w a dummy case), so maybe I jeed to crawl around and do some digging to verify...?

If it lasts 6 months thatll work for me. You just CANT find any 4wd trannys here locally so that would hold me over until I can either save up and order one or find a boneyard/craigslist deal

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Yeah, some guys have successfully run the 146 behind a 4.0 for years. They are a bit stronger than the 145, but share one of the more fatal flaws.

The FM series used ball bearings for the mains, instead of rollers. That means all the force is on the tip of the ball, and so one good snap at the throttle has the potential to fracture a ball.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals