• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rotten eggs (sulphur) smell in cab after running about 5 minutes

HamsterStyle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys,

New to the ranger forums, been lurking when I need to find answers. Overall I've found very helpful information on here so far! I'm new to owning a Ranger as well, having bought one a year ago.

I have a 2008 4.0L 4x4. When I start it up, and run the heater (it's about 30 up here) after 5 minutes the cab smells like rotten eggs / sulphur. It stays until I roll the window down and it all goes out. I'm trying to figure out what it's from.

I'm thinking either a bad cat, bad fuel pump, or some bad fuel injectors. I'm doubtful it's the cat (why would it be in the cab?), but I will go check the exhaust the next time I drive it. What should I test to check the other things? Any other ideas?

07nhbpsi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well, a fuel pump and injectors Do not smell of sulfur..........at anytime, so I’d be looking at the Catylitic Convertor as the culprit.......:icon_thumby: from my research it seems the later years of Rangers it wasnt all that uncommon to have convertor issues..... I’ve heard a lot of them between 2009-2011 .... My 2010 was already throwing a P0420 code by 100k, turns out the passenger side convertor was dying a slow death.......:sad:

HamsterStyle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Sorry about bringing this up late, but I figured out why this happened.

While the catalytic converter is a likely culprit, in this case my truck is OK. It was actually the water plant where I lived in Cedar Rapids, which had completely failed and was making the whole city smell like rotten eggs. Good old Cedar Rapids: "If you can't handle us on water plant breakdown day, then you don't deserve us on Crunchberry day!"

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals