• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A4LD to FM145 Swap HOW-TO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
THIS IS A WRITE UP FOR A A4LD TO A FM-145 For a 87 Bronco II 2.9L

First off make sure to secure all the parts you need. The FM-145, Manual FlyWheel, Clutch Pedal, brake pedal(for manual), Master Clutch resevoir, Master Clutch Cylinder, you will also need new driveshafts 2 inches longer for main driveshaft and two inches shorter for the front driveshaft.
Since we will have things apart some good ideas would be Universal JOints, Gear OIL, 2 qts Trainy Fluid.

Lets first start off in the cab. Remove the four bolts holding down auto shifter in the center on the floor. Next pull up on the plate to get it seperated to veiw down. go under the truck and take off the bolt connecting the linkage to the trainny. remove the outer cable and disconnect the linkage by poping it out. NOTE ther will still be a peice connected to the trainy it pops off kinda like the throttle cable on the intake manifold). Lets get the clutch installed. pop off the ring holding the brake assembly in. The rod that comes out is useless as that rod is on the clutch pedal itself. sawzaw or get rid of teh extra metal that would have been used for the interlock switch( we will be connecting this in a different way.) Push it in as far over to the wall and get the rod in carefully putting back the black peices that go in there should be one on between the clutch and the bracket, two on the brake(one on each side), then one finally on the other side where the clip goes back to hold it in place pop out the dot in the insulation for the clutch cylinder. go into the engine bay and find the plate on that side and remove it. put the clutch into here and bolt it in. bolt the resevoir up on the metal plate to the top right.

Remove the driveshaft ( I believe 12mm) they are star bolts (as a hint use a 1 1/4 inch wrench to put additional torque make life easy:) ).Remove the Front Driveshaft the bolts are T27. you will have to push it back into the transfer case then drop it off the front differential then slide it out of the transfer case. To make things easier on yourself now would be a good time to get the Transfer case out. remove the 5 bolts from the transfer case. you will need to pry it off with a crowbar or wedge. Next would be removing the Transmission. Remove the 6 bolts from this then go to the front and remove the starter. Next would be remove the crossmember bolts. then remove the tranny. A prybar will need to be used to pull it back FOr this swap you will have to Grind off the rivets for the crossmember mounts with an angle grinder. pry off the frame and pound out the top rivet to the front of the truck. this will leave the foward v pattern. using grade 8 bolts. Change out the Flywheel making sure to use the Long Bolts from the MAnual Flywhell. They are signifigantly bigger and offer more strength. next install the clutch, pilot bearing using the alignment tool. put the manual tranny in and put up the crossmember. tighten everything down. Next would be a good idea to change the transmission fluid in the transfer case. then to put this back on. then change the u-joints on the driveshafts. then put the stater in and put the driveshafts in the same way they came out. attach the clutch line and bleed it. Put in the gear oil. and put the shifter on. dependon on the way your transfer case goes theres two ways to go from here.

AUTO transfer case- put the shift boot on. Go under and cut the 5 wire plug you will be using all of these wires. Put the red/blue stripe and red/yellow stripe to the Blue with black stripe running to trany. next would be the wht/pink stripe to the blue line running to the tranny. this will let the truck start and shift to four low with tranny in neutral. next match the wires for the back up lites they are the same color coming from the trainy should be like a purple color. IGNORE THE TWO WIRE PLUG this is for the torque converter lockup

Manual. Put the shifter back on then install boot. Go under and hook up the back up lights by matching the colors purple.one has a stripe. Then hook up the Red/blue stripe to the Blue/Black Stripe then the wht/pink stripe up to the Blue wire. the blue is the wire running to the tranny.

ENJOY
Written By Jacob C.
im on aim or pm me Blankstar85

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
any pictures or wiring diagrams?

Ranger#1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
so how about thoes pix

xsouthernrebel

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302w , 4.0(350)
Transmission
Manual
THIS IS A WRITE UP FOR A A4LD TO A FM-145 For a 87 Bronco II 2.9L

Remove the driveshaft ( I believe 12mm) they are star bolts

Sorry to be a stickler but they are 13 mm lol . . .i have done this swap twice and there is rele nothin to it. . . . BE SURE TO BLEED YOUR CLUTCH MASTERE CYLINDER B4 YOU INSTALL IT!!!!. . .. it has to be bench bled. . . . i never did figure out the wiring with the ignition and the reverse lights tho:sad:. . . I just ran my ignition to a toggle switch and didnt worry about my reverse lights. . . . Ive got 4 dayllighters facin forward and 2 facin bak so i didnt have a need for back up lights:icon_thumby:

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
No, they are 12mm 12 point. Never seen an RBV with 13mm driveshaft bolts.

mjonesjr

Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Yea, they are 12mm 12 point sockets.

xsouthernrebel

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302w , 4.0(350)
Transmission
Manual
idk i guess i got 2 hermorphidite trucks cause both swaps ive done were 13 mm 12 points

mjonesjr

Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
the 3 swaps I have done along with about 25 or so other RBV also being 12mm 12 point.

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
Yep, 12mm.

99RangerKrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
How much different would this swap be into a 92 Ranger, as opposed to the 87 Bronco II it was written about?

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
Sorry guys... This write up was one I copied from the old forums right after we made the switch. It was not written by me, and I don't have any other info on it.

Original poster contacted me... He is still a member and can be reached here... Blankstar85

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals