• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2000 f150 4.6 plug removal

Little Red

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
This truck is new to me. I have a miss in #7 cyl. What's involved in pulling a plug if the coil is good. Do I have to remove the fuel rail? Thanks

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
I think your coil is held on with a 10mm socket bolt IIRC. Be careful pulling the coil, sometimes you can rip the boot and you'll have to dig it out. Cylinder 7 is a PITA on mine. Seems like the EGR pipe is right there. Buy good plugs, and use anti-seize on the threads.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
7mm, preferably a swivel.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Thanks Sasquatch, I couldn't remember for sure. One more trick I learned is to use a rubber hose on the end of the plug to start it in the hole. It's like putting the plug in by hand. This helps in the battle against stripped threads.

Sent from a Commodore 64 using a 300 baud modem

Little Red

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Shane, I got a socket on the bolt and soaked it with Blaster beforehand. It won't come loose. Any suggestions? It's under the fuel pressure reg. I think.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Yeah, it's the third one back on the drivers side. I would recommend letting them soak overnight if it's not coming loose. How long did you soak the plug for? One other thing you could try is let it run for a minute to get it warm. Just remember, this is why you want to use the anti-seize.

Little Red

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah, I sprayed it twice last eve. and twice today and warmed it up. No-Go. I'll try again tomorrow. Funny thing is I ohmed it out and it reads the same as #8. I suspect the plug. I bought it used from a gypsy car dealer and he said he changed them last spring with the brake pads. Well,the pads were replaced but I question if the plugs were, as tight as this coil bolt is they're probably orig. with 200 k on them. Thanks. any more ideas i'll welcome them.

Last edited:

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
I'm pretty sure mine were original with 205,000 miles on them.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You could just keep driving it. The plugs will remove themselves eventually.

On a more serious note, once you do get the plug out, you can tell if it is original or not because the originals will have a little green or yellow paint dot on the top of them.

Also, if your boot doesn't want to come off, if you have a blow gun and a compressor you can put a little bit of air down through it. It blows it up like a balloon and breaks it away from the plug.

Little Red

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Happy days. I drenched the coil bolt with Blaster again after I drove it around to warm up. I got the bolt out this AM after I pulled an easy plug out. The bolt came out just like I think it should and the plug was in good shape. The #7 bolt was tight at first. I guess it takes a while for anything to soak into such a tight fit. I pulled the plug and it was in the same shape as the easy one. I used anti-skid on the easy one's plug and coil bolt. I did the same on # 7 after I got a new coil. The old coil ohmed within .1 ohms as the new one.I guess it would break down under load. I put the new coil in and fired it up. It ran better than when I bought it. The mil. went out after 3 starts in 10 mi. I'm ready to rock now. Thanks all.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals