• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

transmission swap info

twoshoes028

Reaction score
i have a 1990 ranger with the 2.3L and a 5 speed tranny does any1 kno what tranny this is and if it is compatible with a 4.0L engine of the same year thanks

4x4RangerGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It should be the M5OD-R1 5 speed transmission, and I don't believe it is compatible with the 4.0 since they have different bellhousings.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
They have different bolt patterns. M5ODs do not have separate bellhousings.

jwatembach

Reaction score
I think it is a M5OD-R1. I have found some sites that have the info, I will post them later. The M5OD is a weak, I mean WEAK tranny. I don't think it would hold up for long.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Umm, M5ODs hold up fine behind even V8s (R2 was behind 5.0Ls) for hundreds of thousands of miles, though ZFs are preferred for that application. It can stand a 2.3L. Or even a 4.0L SOHC.

The only thing that makes them weak is driver error. Like not checking the oil level ever. But no transmission will last long at all with insufficient lubricant.

jwatembach

Reaction score
The one thing I do know is they can not take down shifting. Down shifting destroys the counter shaft bearings. I just tore through a rebuilt one is 30,000 miles. I did four months of research before I rebuilt it myself and everyone I talked to agreed that they are weak.

TireIron

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I don't know how weak they really are... If you know how to shift it (like a truck, not a double or triple synchro'd sports car tranny) then it will last a good long time even with lots and lots of downshifting. Unless I'm just the exception to the rule getting hundreds of thousands of miles out of M5ODs.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
The early transmissions get a little "notchy" between 2nd and 3rd due to a design error (there is a TSB), but I've NEVER heard of an M5OD being done in in this manner. I would imagine you could do a lot of damage with "power shifts." Nearly all the complaints I've seen (including the "notchiness") could be explained by incorrect fluid or oil starvation.

My own has 235K miles, and I downshift ALL the time, including with heavy deceleration (above 4000 RPM). It's an essential and very frequently used skill for mountain drivers.

I guess a lot of people don't shift very well. Further evidence is complaints of clutch lifetime. Mine always seem to last around 150K miles.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals