• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

M50d-r1 Removal Procedures?

RAPIDTRAVERSE

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
M50D-R1 REMOVAL PROCEDURES

Thank you in advance for your help.

I have a 1994, 2.3L, 2WD (ranger), with a M50D-R1 (2WD Version) with 180K miles.

I need information about parts, tools, and procedures in removing a M50D-R1 Transmission.

I would like to replace the Slave Cylinder because I am having troubles shifting in and out of first gear as well as reverse. The reservoir of the Slave was bone dry (explaining the oil spots on the driveway and poor action with clutch pedal). As I topped off the reservoir things improved. The clutch pedal began to respond while easily engaging first gear but, reverse is still a grind..

With that, I believe it would be wise to replace the clutch and throw-out bearing while I replace the slave; since I’m there.

At this point, should I consider replacing the synchronizers? (I don’t have much time, money, or experience). ….Because things still grind as I select reverse.

In addition, could someone suggest what parts I will need? For example:
1) I am going to replace the rail plugs.
2) Slave Kit
3) Clutch Kit (do clutch kits come with a slave?)
4) What about the syncros? Is this covered in a “Brass and Bearing” Kit (What is a brass and bearing kit?).
5) Do I need exhaust flanges?
6) U-joints
7) Seals?
Someone please set me straight.

Next, any special tools needed? Trans jack?, 13mm sockets, wrenches, lock ring pliers, or a torch?

Finally, how do I remove the transmission (by the numbers)? And how do I reinstall the transmission?

Any information on this would be greatly appreciated.

LittleHorse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
if it's anything like the 2.9/4.0 you'll need about 3-4 feet worth of 3/8" drive ratchet extensions to get to the upper bellhousing bolts.

clutch kit doesn't usually come with a slave, but it occasionally does. Mine did, but it was a kit sold by an ebay retailer that just threw a slave in to another box. In hindsight I would have bought them separately 'cause I ended up with a '94 slave that didn't match my '90 master, so I ended up buying a new master to match my new slave.

I used a motorcycle jack to do the lifting.

I wouldn't take apart the transmission if it's still driving. There are a lot of manual transmissions out there that don't even have synchros on reverse, so I consider it a luxury to have it and not worth taking apart...that said...if you're bound and determined to do it, you could just do reverse without taking apart the 1-4 gears between the bearing carriers.

Not sure of the exhaust configuration on the 4 cyl, but the V6 sucked with the crossover pipe. I still managed to get the trans out and back in without messing with the exhaust though.

HareRazor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
4cylinder 2wd ranger is the easiest transmission I've ever pulled. I had one out in about an hour.
This is what I do:
Take the starter out(3 bolts probably 13mm)
Drain the tranny fluid(15/16? i think).
Pull the drive shaft(4 12mm 12pt bolts)
Push the white clip in on the clutch line that goes into the slave cylinder and pull out on the line.
I would then unbolt the transmission mount bolts and slightly jack up the transmission to take the weight off the crossmember. They make a few different crossmembers but hopefully you have the one without the rubber bushings, and can just unbolt it and not have to cut the bolts out because they like to spin in the rubber bushings.
Lower the transmission and you should be able to see all the engine to transmission bolts and get at them with a lot of extensions.
The transmission is pretty light. I am a wimp and can lift mine out and in by myself
It is pretty simple

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals