• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Service parts for Manual Transmission?

Ggerg1186

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I own a 1999 Ford Explorer with the pushrod 4.0 v6. It has the manual 5 speed transmission with approximate 120,000 miles. Believe everything is factory origional.

I removed the transmission today because it would make a metal on metal grinding noise whenever I would down shift. The noise would rattle until I released the clutch pedal to load the engine down a bit. Then I could press the clutch pedal with no noise. From this point I could select any gear at anytime with the clutch lever pressed to the floor, or I could put the trans in neutral and release the clutch pedal. The only time the noise starts is when I downshift to stop at a light.

Now that the transmission is outof the vehicle I have made some inspections. The clutch disk and pressure plate seem fine, but I plan to replace them anyways. (The clutch disk is down to its minimum thickness.) The throwout bearing also seems fine. Again, I plan to replace it.

The transmission input shaft has a lot of play. I cannot find a specific free play value in my ford technical service manual. Does anyone know how much free play is acceptable?

I think I will have to replace the input shaft anyways, which means I will get a good chance to look at the input shaft bearing. The input shaft is measurably worn where it rides on the pilot bearing in the crankshaft.

The pilot bushing probably needs replaced too.

Anyone know where I can find cheap rebuild parts for this transmission? Should I just get a reman unit? Any advice is appreciated.

Ggerg1186

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
After some research it appears that I have a Mazda M50D-R1 transmission.

I cannot find any casting marks on the side of the trans, only a sticker that says F87A

Ggerg1186

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Should I just put a t5 trans in it?

TireIron

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
finding a good M5OD for a 4.0L is very easy to do, they are extremely common and used in rangers and explorers. They are all the same so it may be easier to get a good lower mileage unit out of a junkyard and it may be cheaper also. As long as you get one from behind the 4.0L and in either 2wd or 4wd (which ever you have) then it will be a bolt in swap. When I blew my M5OD up after about 250K miles I got one free from someone looking to get rid of it. It had probably 120K miles and had no issues at all when I swapped it in.

jwatembach

Reaction score
Zumbrota Bearing and Gear Inc. I just rebuilt my M5OD-R1. After four months of research they have all the parts for this tranny at a price I was willing to pay. I found them on ebay but I believe their direct sit is zbag.com

Ggerg1186

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Zumbrota Bearing and Gear Inc. I just rebuilt my M5OD-R1. After four months of research they have all the parts for this tranny at a price I was willing to pay. I found them on ebay but I believe their direct sit is zbag.com
Sweet, Zumbrota MN is like a couple hours north of my house! Excellent.

Any advice before I start surgery?

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yes, TAKE THE TOP COVER OFF and see what's chewed up.

The usual reason for these transmissions failing is oil starvation, and if that has happened, there will be a lot of carnage in there. Which means get a used transmission since the rebuild will be outrageously expensive.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals