• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ford 1990 2.9L V6 to 2.3L 4-Cyl

M90th

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1990 V6 2.9L 4x4 manual that just had the block crack, I need to replace the engine and since I have a significant commute I do empty I thought getting a 2.3L 4-cyl would really improve my 13 mpg average I was getting. Time and money are tight right now so if it takes a ton extra of either of those, I'll stick to getting a 2.9. So, first how difficult would that swap be, Second, is there a different year/model of engine that would be even better mpg/performance and still simple to swap, third, any recommendations on where to find a good engine?

wr250rdr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You won't see a drastic improvement in mileage with a 2.3 and 4x4

It's pushing and turning all the extra weight that really sucks the mileage up. I would just stick to rebuilding the 2.9

And you should see a slight improvement in performance and mileage because things are tighter and fresh in your motor. Less slop in the motor will produce more power and more efficiency

Insanejughead

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
RBV's on Boost
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94, '86
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
If you want to keep the swap simple, get another 2.9L. Going with a different motor will require a transmission change (unless you get a 4.0 out of a 92-94 ranger, they're OBD I, too). On second thought, this is a great time to swap to a 4.0 out of a truck from those years. Either way, rebuilding the engine should grant you the most reliable and longest lasting engine that you will have; whereas just a swap to a previously used motor can be iffy...

Oh, and we can't help you find another motor unless we know where you are located...

M90th

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You won't see a drastic improvement in mileage with a 2.3 and 4x4

It's pushing and turning all the extra weight that really sucks the mileage up. I would just stick to rebuilding the 2.9

And you should see a slight improvement in performance and mileage because things are tighter and fresh in your motor. Less slop in the motor will produce more power and more efficiency
Ok, just replacing the 2.9 sounds like a plan. Also since I live in Lancaster, CA I was thinking that the DMV might not let me pass smog if I did an engine swap anyways, I am not sure and haven't been able to find info on that either.

If you want to keep the swap simple, get another 2.9L. Going with a different motor will require a transmission change (unless you get a 4.0 out of a 92-94 ranger, they're OBD I, too). On second thought, this is a great time to swap to a 4.0 out of a truck from those years. Either way, rebuilding the engine should grant you the most reliable and longest lasting engine that you will have; whereas just a swap to a previously used motor can be iffy...

Oh, and we can't help you find another motor unless we know where you are located...
I am located in Lancaster, CA, USA any help is appriciated.

wr250rdr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm actually in Acton/Palmdale area if you ever need a hand. And smog reff will let you go as long as the motor was available in that series of trucks and is either the same year or newer and all the smog Equiptment is intact

So in my 94 I can swap any ranger motor in from 94+ but not an explorer 5.0

There are always loop holes and ways to get around smog but they are usually a pain in the ass for a stock motor

wr250rdr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Also I was out at ecology on 90th east and I forget what and there were quite a few 2.9s since your gunna need a new block anyway but someone on here might be able to get you a block cheep

M90th

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ok, I am officially looking for a replacement 2.9 L long block. Should I post that on a different thread?

wr250rdr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Are you gunna do the work your self or do you want a pre assembled long block?

M90th

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I would prefer a pre-assembled, but my wallet might not allow for that.

wr250rdr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Check out autozone I know they sell a short block but idk what the cost is. And you can always pull a motor and rebuild its usually cheaper that way

wr250rdr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So I was doing a bit of looking and you can get a rebuild kit http://www.enginepartsstore.com/servlet/Detail?no=1859. For 400 plus probably another 200 for a bone yard long block and I know a guy out here that gives a good price on machine work so probably another 250 to deck the block and heads, polish the crank and and the Bering journals so you can probably do this rebuild for under a grand if you just want stock rebuild and stock performance.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals