• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

92 ranger gettin another portion rebuilt. Advice is apppreciated!!

upnsmoke

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
When you buy a used vehicle, you inherit the issues the previous owner(s) created or neglected to fix, unless you get lucky and find one owned by someone that cared about it, but that almost never seems to happen. I bought my 88 for $600, running well with four new tires. Little did I know I was buying a basket case. I would never have predicted I would put so much time and money into the truck. Nonetheless, in hindsight I would still buy the truck and do it almost the same way. At this point, I would say Guru's truck is a nice rig. It probably drives like a new truck, and as for the rust, it gives it character. Most importantly, it is what he wants. All the work I did on my truck gave me a chance to make it exactly what I wanted it to be, and now I would not trade it for a new one. Not to mention, the box body really is cool. Mine's not finished and I want another already.

CamoRanger94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
6200 in the truck and its not v8 swapped and its 2wd where the heck are you putting all the money in.

Rose2300

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
When you buy a used vehicle, you inherit the issues the previous owner(s) created or neglected to fix, unless you get lucky and find one owned by someone that cared about it, but that almost never seems to happen. I bought my 88 for $600, running well with four new tires. Little did I know I was buying a basket case. I would never have predicted I would put so much time and money into the truck. Nonetheless, in hindsight I would still buy the truck and do it almost the same way. At this point, I would say Guru's truck is a nice rig. It probably drives like a new truck, and as for the rust, it gives it character. Most importantly, it is what he wants. All the work I did on my truck gave me a chance to make it exactly what I wanted it to be, and now I would not trade it for a new one. Not to mention, the box body really is cool. Mine's not finished and I want another already.
That's why you thoroughly inspect a used vehicle before you buy it, so you don't end up with a basket case haha. I wouldn't even consider buying a "basket case" no matter how cheap it was.

6200 in the truck and its not v8 swapped and its 2wd where the heck are you putting all the money in.
That's what i'm sayin! haha

But hey what's done is done you learn from experience right?

upnsmoke

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That's why you thoroughly inspect a used vehicle before you buy it, so you don't end up with a basket case haha. I wouldn't even consider buying a "basket case" no matter how cheap it was.
One thing to bear in mind is that what one person thinks is a nice car, another might find a million problems with. I bought a 92 Toyota Corolla with no functional door handles, except the outside one on the driver door, non operational front power windows, some of the threads for the exhaust manifold stripped out of the aluminum head, and other cosmetic issues (at least I considered them cosmetic). Everyone thought I was nuts for buying it, but a few hundred dollars and a few day's work turned it completely functional. I have driven it for a year and a half, often lending it to my mother (I take her willingness to drive it as proof of its functionality), and now plan to sell it for more than I have invested in it.
The converse of the Corolla situation was a 99 Mustang I bought. It was unbelievably clean, and everyone that rode in it thought it was great. I knew however, that it had some issues imminent, and sold it after a year, before I had to mess with it, and while it was still worth more than I paid for it. I would have likely lost my ass on it if I kept it.
My point is, just because a vehicle runs and drives nice, doesn't mean that it doesn't have some imminent issues that won't necessarily rear their head on a test drive. I bought my truck thinking it had a good motor. Little did I know, a previous owner had replaced one hydraulic lifter, and one rocker. The cam was ruined, and the motor needed valves and rockers. That problem was not evident until after I had bought the truck and removed the valve cover. There are obvious, major issues you can spot, like dogtracking, damaged or severely worn suspension components, obvious drivetrain issues, etc, but there are those that anyone could miss as well.
Vehicles need work. Sensors die, bushings and ball joints wear out, bearings wear out, things rust and break, the list goes on. For your average person, I would say unless you replace your vehicles with newer ones every decade or so, they will need some major repairs and restoration work at some point. I just overhauled the suspension on my mother's 96 Honda Accord at a cost of nearly a grand. That's just for parts, I did the work, so there was no cost for labor. However, I used quality parts, and I know now that I will not need to repeat that job for quite some time.
I have bought and sold a lot of cars in my time, most of them belonging in the junkyard when I bought them. I did well on some, and not on others. I also worked on cars in a dealer for a couple years, and saw that just being fairly new is still no guarantee that a car won't be a pain in your ass. To me, it's about more than just being able to say I worked on or built something. It's about feeling certain that it is right. I have owned my Ranger longer than any other vehicle, and have worked to improve it over the entire time I have owned it. It is nothing extraordinary or impressive, but I feel like I could drive it to hell and back. Sorry for writing my life's story here. Guess I need to work on being a little more concise. Oh well.:beer:

An Audio Guru

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 v6
Transmission
Manual
Don't get me wrong. I admit I see I got a little over my head but I had a lot going against me. I think I've done pretty well in a year. In November I broke up out of a 2 year, lost that income, forfeited apt "due to mold"...easy way out if you call inspector. 2 weeks later dude raped my low rider at 80 mph. Bent frame so totaled. So here I was just before Xmas down to nothing but measly insurance check, renting some basement, a storage locker, bags of clothes, and thankfully my job, and no holiday to bama for me. As of a year later I'm well on a rebuild to a ranger that I had when I was a kid. I'm now a full $8500 into the truck learning for the first time as i go. Doing most on my own work, with still addition of bobby bouche(don't know his screen name here), my step brother, and a trusted mechanic miles away in tifton. I've replaced/rebuilt all the major stuff, last to tackle is steering box and steering rods. Truck made a 500 mile trip in 3 days home and back for tg last week with only a minor hickup, bookin it the whole time, cruise set at 85. So yippe! I've bought a 07 Hyundai sonata se v6 @ $167/m. Got a place now too. So yeah this truck has been a pita. And once I was in I determined I was to deep to turn back. Also don't need v8..to much gas. Have put almost a total of 18kmiles just in atl area in 8 months. Gets decent gas. Don't need 4x4. Can pull what I need for a trailer, the rest I work out the bed. How much is a new truck? No it ain't yet but at some point it'll be what I want for less than a new one. I think I've done good this year and for this continuous headache I have the generous ppl here at trs to try to help me figure the truck out. Um yeah a definate thanks for the advice. The truck has passed the roadtrip trust test and some minor trails, dust roads, and light mud back home. (Under Construction) thanks erbody!!

scrapper

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
1975 302
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6+3
Tire Size
33/12.50/15
wow, looks all right to me. You get the satisfaction of doing it yourself. Should last along time. If not you can get more experience working on it. :icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals