• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

WTB Bronco II 4.0 8.8(or 9) rear Dana 35/30 front

Chessmo

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Evening,

Old member here that cannot remember his original username, I have owned 4 Bronco II's over the past 30 years and 1 Ranger 302 conversion, right now I am in search of a nice 4.0 Bronco II conversion done right (8.8 or 9 inch rear with a Dana 30 or 35 solid front) James Duff or like quality lift ect ect.. This is a bucket list type of search, so I figured why don't I go right to the source (The Ranger Station)..

I have cash in hand for the right build, keep in mind that I rode a bus from VT to Illinois to grab a nice lifted Bronco II going off of pictures so not afraid of a road trip..

Please let me know if you or someone you know has the rig I seek.. :beer:

Thanks!

jtaborsky

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"
Tire Size
32's
My credo
Break. Upgrade. Repeat.
I have something pretty close to your desired rig. As the saying goes, there's the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Specifications:
It's a 1987 Bronco II 4x4. The factory motor has been replaced with a 1992 4.0 from an Explorer sport.
Transmission is a M5OD that I got from the same Explorer sport that the motor came from. There is a tag on the tranny from a local business that suggests it has been either serviced, rebuilt, or replaced at some point. I don't remember the date on the tag, but if you are interested in this vehicle, I will crawl through the snow and verify the date (I want to say it was done in 2000).
Rear axle is a disk-brake 8.8 from a 2000 Explorer, and I have added a Detroit Trutrac differential. 4.10 gears. Riddler diff cover.
Transfer case is a manual shift 1354 from a Ranger (I don't remember the year).
Front axle is a Dana 35 from a 1992 Explorer (but the front axle came from a different Explorer than the engine and transmission came from). 4.10 gears. Brian1's front diff guard. All four ball joints were replaced within the last two thousand miles.
4" Skyjacker lift and 32" tires.

The good:
The engine runs great; it starts quicker and easier than any vehicle I've ever owned, no matter how long it has sat. The 4L motor and 4.10 gears are a good match for the 32" rubbers. This thing does very well offroad. The body is relatively clean: there is some rust and some rot on the exterior of the body, but the underside looks great. When I did the motor swap, I replaced the clutch, water pump, all coolant hoses, tensioner, as well as MANY gaskets on the engine, such as valve covers, oil pan, exhaust manifold, and more I can't remember right now. It has the radiator from the 1992 Explorer sport. The front bumper has been replaced with a minimal winch-mount bumper. I will not include the winch with this sale. I am likely missing a lot, because I have done so much to this vehicle, but if you have any questions, I should be able to remember specifics.

The bad:
The wiring under the hood is messy. I have thought about cleaning it up, but it is all functional, so it hasn't bugged me enough to change it.
The transfer case leaks out the rear output seal. I have tried replacing it twice, but I can't get it to seal.
Motor leaks oil from somewhere. I think it's from the oil filter adapter, but cannot confirm.

The ugly:
Rear hatch release handle needs to be replaced; it has a broken snap-ring that prohibits it from working.
Driver's side window guide is broken, so window doesn't go up without help.

I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot. I have owned this vehicle since 2009, longer than I've ever owned any other vehicle. It has been used offroad, but it has always been extensively maintained.

I won't let it go for less than $4500.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Located in Bismarck, North Dakota.

- Joe

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals