• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Why 4 > 6

Teddyzee

December 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual
FWIW, my 5.0 gets better mileage than the v6's....

My 4.0 certainly had lots of power, my 3.0 is a dog in comparisson.

I think th O.P. needs to drive either of the 4.0 engines. Just for fun. I think you'll like them!

To each their own. I wouldn't mind a 4cyl Ranger, but I would not have one as my only vehicle. (only because I enjoy the power of the other motors)

EDIT: My green truck was an OHV 4.0, now has a 5.0 H.O. I also have a '93 Splash 3.0 so you know what I'm talking about.

Last edited:

bcost882

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000, 2011
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L, 1.6L
Transmission
Manual
I actually heard of a prototype focus that was supposed to come out with an I-5 turbo. that would be retarded awesome

Fx4wannabe01

February 2010 OTOTM Winner
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I actually heard of a prototype focus that was supposed to come out with an I-5 turbo. that would be retarded awesome
There's already something similar in the states already.....and it's still a Ford.........Volvo C30. Powered by an I5 turbo engine rated at about 230hp.

I've wanted one of those cars for quite some time now!

EDIT: Turns out, just as I suspected(and/or forgot but knew at one point), the C30 is built on the International Focus chassis. The next gen US Escape (currently called the Kuga internationally) will ride on the same chassis. The new Mazda 3 also rides on this chassis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_C1_platform

Last edited:

HardcoreKeith

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Duratec 23
Transmission
Manual
I really dig the Duratec 2.3, but there's a place on the highway along the way home where the speed limit changes from 55 to 65, and that 10 mph increase is a pretty long journey even after downshifting into third. :D

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
So maybe we should get a Colorado that way we can have a 5 cylinder:icon_twisted: lmao

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
Or a Colorado with the 5.3 V8?

Seriously though, how much skill does it take to drive a low-powered vehicle. Sure you can handle the twisties... because there isn't enough torque to oversteer. Take my ranger out on the twisties and feather the throttle and brake while banging the ratchetshifter.

I understand there's a market for a 4 cylinder ranger. If you live on a flat terrain it would be economical. But a 4 cylinder ranger would struggle hauling an ATV or pulling a boat where I am. I know, because my 302 ranger used to be a 2.3L Lima/M5OD. I averaged 23-24 mpg. My 4.0L SOHC/5R55E X-cab sees 18-20mpg. And with that combination I say "Oops, I almost forgot there was a load of wood in the bed" instead of "maybe if I get a running start at this hill I won't have to piss people off behind me for doing 35mph".

TheBeast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995, 1970
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
After fixing my 4.0 up, it would be hard to turn around and go back to a 3.0. The torque difference is addicting. I mash it and it rolls pretty good as it is, but it's not going to throw you out of your seat. The fact I can burn a set of mud terrains on dry pavement with the truck being under geared says alot to me

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
My 2.3 5spd ran around easily w/ 800lbs-900lbs in the bed. I literally fit half an explorer body and frame into it. Drove 20mi highway to the old scrap yard. held 60 pretty easy.

swvapaver7274

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 FI
Transmission
Manual
i have a 94 f150 4x4 with 5.0 and a 88 4x4 ranger 2.3, going to buy a bronco 2 soon that will have a 6 in it, just depends on wat mood im in or how much cash in my pocket for what i want to drive that day. Just like everything else good and bad in every setup. I try hard not to diss anyone and when someone disses (is that a word) me just let it slide off my back. This I believe will help me be happier and live longer,lol.......

aaron_ariens

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Actually, I bought it because I needed a vehicle, and this one came along at the right time & right price. I do use it to haul smaller loads, such as furniture or brush. It just so happens that I've fallen in love with my Ranger after realizing how versitile it was. The truck kinda foune me.
That's the exact same thing that happened to me! I was looking for a car, after selling my 86' Cutlass, it only got like 12mpg, with the 350 v8.

One of my co-workers told me about this 01 Ranger for sale, so after a little talking, I'd told him I'd take a look. It was the first truck I'd ever driven, and I fell in love with it, and I never thought I would own a truck, ever. :yahoo:

It does have the 3.0, but I probably would have got it with any engine, I love it so much!

88gt

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3t swap in prog...
Transmission
Manual
i currently have a 2.9 in my 88 and a 3.0 in my 99. the 88 is getting a BUILT 2.3 turbo. and i decided today on a long ride(4.5 hrs long) that the 3.0 is goin to get replaces with a mild 2.3t to dd. i dont have a need for a full size truck and would be caught dead in a car. The 4.0 is tepting to swap in the 99 when the 3.0 goes, but i just like the whirr of a turbo. and it would get equal mpgs.

have normal 2.3 mileage until you want power...but then, you have POWER!

Last edited:

ranger_mclaren

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995/02
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3/2.0
Transmission
Automatic
So maybe we should get a Colorado that way we can have a 5 cylinder:icon_twisted: lmao
Im sorry but the colorado 5 cylinder was junk even chevy would admit to that thats why they axed it so quickly. Nothing but problems with it.

Adreenaleen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
colorado.... not even worth to mention

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals